Research Centres and Projects
Centre for Sustainable Architecture with Wood (CSAW)
CSAW works to foster the use of wood as a quality and environmentally sustainable material within the built environment with a focus on collaborative relationships between industry partners and active researchers within CSAW and the School of Architecture & Design.
The Centre is located within the School of Architecture & Design and comprises a multidisciplinary team of architects, engineers and wood products industry practitioners who are supported by a state-of-the-art research laboratory and testing facilities.
CSAW expertise lies in two main areas:
Wood for Sustainable Architecture
- Physical and mechanical properties
- Appearance properties
- Drying and milling
- Engineered wood products
- Product innovation
Sustainable Architecture with Wood
- Timber applications in sustainable built environments, including applications for biomass and the development of bio-based economies
- Energy efficiency
- Thermal performance
- History and traditions in timber building
- Assembly and installation
- Efficient construction methodologies
- Architectural elements
- Engineering systems
- Design for place
Building & Wood related extension Services and Consultancies
CSAW has an extensive and established network of external collaborative partnerships that includes:
- Australian industry, particularly the Tasmanian wood products and building industries;
- Research funding bodies, such as the Tasmanian Timber Promotion Board (TTPB) and Forest and Wood Products Australia (FWPA);
- Research agencies, such as Forestry Tasmania and the Department of Agriculture and Fisheries Queensland.
- Other Universities, such as the University of Melbourne and Bern University of Applied Science School of Architecture, Building and Wood.
- Wood Solutions, a not for profit company that provides national research and development and promotional services to the Australian forest and wood products industry
- ARC Center for Forest Values aims to build the capacity to shift forestry and wood products sectors to a more modern market driven systems
CSAW provides educational support to industry and the design professions through its research and technical publications, professional development seminars, technical advice, material testing and contract research services.