Skip to content

Independent Study Abroad

The College of Arts and Law may also approve students to undertake independent study abroad to a university/institution that does not have an exchange agreement with UTAS.

If you are seeking to have the independent study abroad credited into your degree, you must first seek advice and subsequent permission from the College to establish the educational level of the host institution and the value of the program.

In the first instance, you should contact Arts Student Central to discuss your proposed plans. Arts Student Central will then confirm what your enrolment may look like and may consult the relevant academic for the discipline area in which you will be seeking to have the overseas study credited.

If you are approved for independent study abroad, you are not liable for HECS-HELP contribution (as a domestic Australian student) for independent study abroad and therefore are not enrolled in HECS-HELP-bearing overseas-coded units. However, a “0-weighted placeholder unit” is added to your enrolment to indicate that you are pursuing independent study overseas.  Upon receipt of evidence of a pass result for your overseas study, Arts Student Central will grant credit toward the student’s degree. International students wishing to embark on a study abroad program for credit into their UTAS degree should consult Arts Student Central for advice.

Participating in an independent study abroad program requires an investment of both time and money. Students are liable for costs associated with(but not limited to) tuition costs paid to the host university or organisation as well as airfares, accommodation, travel and living expenses during their stay overseas.

Whilst UTAS may provide some financial assistance in the form of a scholarship to assist with some of the costs involved, you should not underestimate the financial investment required. If you intend to undertake some form of overseas study during the course of your degree, you should start saving for your proposed independent study abroad at least one year in advance.

If you are a domestic Australian student and intend your main source of funding will be through the OS Help Loan, which is funded by the Australian Government (and administered by the Fees Unit at UTAS), you must read the guidelines and eligibility criteria before making a decision to apply for exchange so as to avoid crushing disappointment if your loan application is unsuccessful. The OS Help Loan Guidelines & Application are available on the Fees Unit website.

“Aim Overseas” is an Australian organisation that facilitates short term overseas study opportunities for Australian university students during the Australian summer and winter months (i.e. during semester breaks). Their short term courses normally run between 3 and 4 weeks at universities in Europe and the Americas. The most popular “discipline areas” of study for Arts students are: International Relations; Politics & Policy; Human Rights; Law; History; English Literature; Media & Communications; Visual Arts (Drawing & Graphic Design). The countries in which short courses are held include: The Netherlands; the Czech Republic; Italy; France; England; Northern Ireland; USA; Mexico; Peru.

List of intensive short-term courses & the AIM Overseas application process

To access the full range of short courses offered during the Australian summer and winter months, and detailed information about the application process and costs, please visit the AIM Overseas website. Also see the Exchange for UTAS Students web page Short Term Programs for more AIM information.

Our range of overseas study opportunities are designed to meet the needs of each and every student, providing them with a chance to learn in a multi-cultural environment, while gaining confidence and expanding their horizons.

Applications for these programs are open, but they won’t be open for long! They close on September 15th or prior if all available spots have already been filled.

Some specific opportunities include:



Politics program information

  • International Relations and Politics in the EU: Peace, Conflicts and Human Rights - The Netherlands
  • Public Policy and Community Development - Argentina
  • Empowering Women in the 21st Century - Portugal
  • Understanding the Middle East: Regional and International Identities, Interests, and Strategies - Italy
  • Immigrants, Human Rights and Society: Mexico as a Migration Case Study

From time to time, the Chinese Language coordinator may approve students who are pursuing a major in Chinese to undertake a Chinese language short course to complement their Chinese major. To determine whether you are a suitable candidate and to ascertain the UTAS unit equivalence of the Chinese language study at the MTC, students should liaise with the Chinese Language coordinator: and Arts Student Central.