Ever wanted to know more about your past?
Introduction to Family History is designed for people interested in their own family histories or genealogy in general. You will learn how to research family history accurately and efficiently using the growing range of online family history resources. You may be surprised at what you discover and what you can share with family and friends.
Study without tuition fees*: HECS Scholarships available for all domestic students. When studying Introduction to Family History you will not incur a tuition fee or debt for the unit. This unit is offered within the Diploma of Family History (R2H) or the Associate Degree in Arts (R2B) / Bachelor of General Studies courses, depending on whether you are a commencing or continuing student.
Online: Introduction to Family History is part of a fully online suite of units to enable flexible study.
Free access to
On successful completion of this unit you will be able to:
- Demonstrate knowledge and understanding of family history principles and planning
- Locate and use major family history repositories and records
- Critically evaluate sources for accuracy and reliability
- Identify and discuss genealogical problems and develop plans for solving them
- Present your genealogical work in a manner that is ethical, clearly written and referenced according to the unit guidelines
Further study opportunities available with fees concessions:
Semester 2, 7 August 2017
What students say...
"I had been researching my family history for years and thought I had already found pretty much all there was to find. But the Introduction to Family History course pointed me towards new resources, sharpened up my research skills and led to new discoveries. It also helped me navigate through the maze of web-based resources and to identify the reliable ones."
- Lisa Hutton, Australian, living in France
With over twenty possible majors and minors, and a choice of individual elective studies, an Arts degree gives you the flexibility to build your knowledge and diversify your skills.