College of Arts and Law

Enrolment Advice

Who to contact

All students, both new and continuing, should obtain enrolment advice before completing their enrolment. For enrolment advice directly related to the course that you are studying, contact ARTS Student Central

Enrolment Process

For some degrees there are no choices to be made but for others, you have to decide which units you want to study. For most of the degrees, you can use a study planner to map out your intended enrolment.

What is eStudent?

eStudent is where you will manage all administrative aspects of your study plan including enrolment, your contact details, fees, exams and graduation.

The eStudent portal will provide access to changes of contact information, enrolment, looking up personal details, fees and exam information.

You can access eStudent by going to and select the ‘Current Students’ link or go to eStudent directly. Please see estudent enrolment guides for assistance enrolling.

Familiarise yourself with the rules and schedules of your degree

Each degree has course specifications (i.e. course structure or rules for completion) together with a schedule of units which are the principle references you should use when choosing your units. You should read the course structure information together with the schedules, before selecting your units.

This information is available on the UTAS 'Courses and Units' website - follow this link for Arts courses

  • Select your course name and then view Course Structure.
  • Select the relevant 'Schedule (major or minor)' heading for information about units offered at a particular year level of the degree, or in a particular major/specialisation.
  • It is the student's responsibility to make sure that you are enrolled in units according to the rules, structure and schedules of your degree, major/s and minor/s.

Class Timetable Information

  • Timetable information for units is available online only, click here to go directly to the Class Timetable.
  • Timetable clashes should be avoided where possible. 
  • It is not possible for the Faculty to guarantee a clash-free timetable for all students.

Your personal timetable can be accessed 24 hours after your enrolment has been processed - open the Class Timetable webpage and enter your Student ID number. Otherwise type in a unit code to see the timetable prior to enrolling.

Applications for Credit
If you wish to seek Advanced Standing (credit) or Recognised Prior Learning for previous study you must submit a credit application form and supporting documentation to ARTS Student Central, well in advance of the semester start date, for consideration.

  • Credit cannot be processed if documentation is incomplete.
  • Please note that it can take up to 4 weeks for credit to be processed.

Personal Details

You must keep the University informed of your personal details (addresses, telephone contacts, citizenship etc.) particularly if these have changed since your last enrolment. Your contact details are important should we find it necessary to get in touch with you.

You can update your contact details online through the eStudent.

Our main means of communication with you is via email. You should check your UTAS email account at least once a week as important information regarding your enrolment may be sent to it. If wanting to correspond with UTAS about your study, you must use your UTAS email account and remember to include your full name and Student Id No.

Special approvals

Please contact ARTS Student Central for the following:

  • Overloads (i.e. more than 50% enrolment in a semester) - formal approval required
  • Waivers of unit pre-requisites - formal approval required from your unit coordinator, in writing (email).
Deferring an Enrolment
There are forms that must be completed to advise us if you wish to defer your enrolment (new students) or to take a leave of absence from study for a period longer than 1 semester (continuing students).
  • If you are an international student, you must seek advice from International Services if you need a break from your studies.
  • To defer, please apply through e-application where you lodged your original application.
  • To apply for a Leave of Absence, please see the Leave of Absence Tab in your estudent.

Still need assistance with your enrolment or other issues related to your study?

Please contact ARTS Student Central as we are here to help you.

Web Links