College of Arts and Law


Have you been placed probation?

Students who have been deemed to be making unsatisfactory progress may be placed on probation. If you have been placed on probation you may be wondering what it means and what you can do to ensure that your progress improves.

You can find out what probation means from the Student Centre.

Students who are notified that they are being placed on probation may be worried and confused. Being placed on probation does not mean the end of your university degree or course – it just means that you need to take action to make sure that you get back on track Please use the assistance details below to find the right person to talk to.


Being placed on probation is a clear sign that you need to change what you have been doing. You could have personal issues which are affecting your study. You may be having problems with the assignments or unit requirements. Or you may be finding it difficult to meet attendance requirements due to work or family commitments.

The following resources are designed to support students.

To find the best resource or support service for you, you need to think about why you are not making suitable progress and then start to think about what actions you can take to improve. The resources are broken up according to type:

Academic & General Skills

For Academic Queries, you can contact your unit coordinator, lecturers and tutors. There are also First Year Coordinators who can support you.

For General Study Skills, there are a number of programs and resources provided by UTAS for students who wish to develop their skills for learning at university and beyond.

CALT Learning Support

Programs and Resources
Peer Learning

English Assist (for international students)

Culturally and Linguistically Diverse (CALD) students



General Support Services


First Year Coordinators can assist you with questions about specific first year units that you are studying.

Sub Deans and ARTS Student Central Officers can advise you about the rules and completion requirements of your degree so that you understand what units you can enrol in.


First Year Coordinator (this will be available soon)

Sub Deans

Enrolment Information

Faculty Officers