Dr Karin Orth
|Contact Campus||Sandy Bay Campus|
|Telephone||+61 3 6226 1921|
|Fax||+61 3 6226 2547 (Earth Sciences) +61 3 6226 7662 (CODES)|
Dr Karin Orth is a research fellow at CODES. She graduated with an Honours degree from Monash University and subsequently worked for the Geological Survey of Victoria. After completing her PhD at the University of Tasmania, Karin worked for the mineral and petroleum industries and the Northern Territory Geological Survey before returning to CODES as a postdoctoral fellow. In this capacity she has worked on the Coronation Hill multi-element deposit in the Northern Territory and Olympic Dam in South Australia. Karin is currently working in collaboration with the Geological Survey of Western Australia on mafic volcanic suites in the Halls Creek Orogen and Large Igneous Provinces of the Kimberley Basin area of northern Western Australia.
Karin is interested in volcanic rocks, their facies architecture, geochemistry and association with ore bodies. In recent years she has broadened her research to encompass geochronology, alteration systems and sedimentary/volcano-sedimentary successions.
View other publications here
- Orth K, Meffre S & Davidson G. 2012 (submitted) Age and Mineralisation of the Coronation Hill Uranium Deposit, Northern Territory Australia. Mineralium Deposita
- Orth K. Davidson G. & Meffre S. 2010, Pyrite variation and radiogenic isotope geochemistry of datable minerals at Coronation Hill Deposit, Northern Territory. Australian Australian Earth Sciences Convention, Canberra July 2010, Geological Society of Australia, Abstracts
- Orth K. 2010 Geology, Volcanology and mineral potential of the Cliffdale and Seigal Volcanics, Calvert Hills 1:250 000 geological mapsheets SE 53-08 Northern Territory. Northern Territory Geological Survey Record 2010-003.
- Orth K. Davidson G. & Meffre S. 2010.Coronation Hill: a complex, long-lived U+Au+Pt+Pd system, Annual Geoscience Exploration Seminars, 23-25 March 2009. Alice Springs, Northern Territory, Record of Abstracts, NT Geological Survey Record 2010-002, 45-47.
- Orth K. 2009 Insights into alteration and mineral potential of volcanic successions of the Murphy Inlier and surrounding areas, Annual Geoscience Exploration Seminars, 23-25 March 2009. Alice Springs, Northern Territory, Record of Abstracts, NT Geological Survey Record 2009-002, 32-34.
- Orth. K 2007 Geology and Volcanology of the Ware Group and Winnecke Granophyre. Northern Tanami Region, Northern Territory. Northern Territory Geological Survey Record 2007-002.
- Griffin, T. J., Tyler, I. M., Orth, K. & Sheppard, S. 1998. Geology of the Angelo 1: 100 000 sheet. Explanatory Notes of the Geological Survey of Western Australia, 27 p.
- Orth, K., 1997, Notes on the geology of the Koongie Park Formation southwest of Halls Creek, Western Australia: AGSO Record, 1997/25, 18 p.
- Orth, K., VandenBerg, A.H.M., Nott, R.J. & Simons, B., 1995 Murrindal 1:100 000 geological report. Geological Survey of Victoria, 237 p.
- Orth, K., and Hill, A. P., 1994, Textures and origins of carbonate associated with Rosebery VHMS deposit: Contentious issues in Tasmanian geology, Hobart, 3-4 November, 1994, Abstracts, p. 105.
- Hill, A. P., and Orth, K., 1994, Textures and origin of carbonate associated with some Australian VHMS deposits [Abstract]: AMF Symposium, Australian Research on Ore Genesis, Adelaide, 1994.
- Smith, S. G., Hill, A. P., Cooke, D. & Orth, K., 1994. Application of cathodoluminescence studies to ore deposit research: examples from carbonate-hosted Pb-Zn VHMS and epithermal deposits. Australian Research on Ore Genesis Symposium, Adelaide, South Australia, Australian Mineral Foundation, Abstracts, 13.1-13.3.
- Orth, K., 1993. Textures in early Proterozoic acid volcanics of the Koongie Park Member, Halls Creek area of NW Western Australia. IAVCEI General Assembly, Ancient volcanism and modern analogues, Canberra September 1993, Abstract 83.
- Orth, K., VandenBerg, A.H.M., King, R.L., Nott, R.J. & Tickell S.J., 1993. Murrindal 1:100 000 geological map. Department of Manufacturing and Industry Development.
- Orth, K. & VandenBerg, A.H.M., 1992. Development of the Lower Devonian Buchan Rift. (Abstract) 11th Australian Geological Congress, Ballarat.
- VandenBerg, A H.M., Nott R.J., Roberts, P.S., King, R.L., & Orth, K., 1990. Bendoc 1:100 000 geological map. Department of Industry and Office of Economic Planning.
- Orth, K. & Nott, R.J., 1990. The stratigraphy, palaeogeography and mineralisation of the lower Devonian Snowy River Volcanics, Murrindal, east Gippsland. (Abstract) 10th Australian Geological Convention, Hobart February 4-9th 1990, 297-299.
- Orth, K. & King, R.L., 1990. The geology of Tower Hill. Department of Industry, Technology and Resources.
- Orth, K., Cas, R.A.F., & Wright, J.V., 1989. Facies analysis and facies associations in the recognition of centres in silicic volcanic terrains: an example from the Lower Devonian of Australia. Australian Journal of Earth Sciences 36(2), 167-188.
- Orth, K., 1989. Explanatory notes on the Warrnambool 1:50 000 geological map. Geological Survey of Victoria Report 86.
- Orth, K,. 1988. Warrnambool 1:50 000 geological map. Department of Industry, Technology and Resources, Victoria.
- Orth, K., Cas, R.A.F., & Wright, J.V., 1984. Facies associations in a probable silicic volcanic caldera terrain, Lower Devonian Snowy River Volcanics of southeastern Australia (Abstract) In Geoscience in the development of natural resources, 7th Australian Geological Congress, Abstracts volume 12, p 41.
New Research Project/s
- Mafic volcanic suites in the Halls Creek Orogen and Large Igneous Provinces of the Kimberley Basin area of northern Western Australia