Professor Khin Zaw
Professor of Economic Geology
BSc (Yangon University), MSc (Queen's University, Canada), PhD (Utas, Australia), FGA (Lond)
|Contact Campus||Sandy Bay Campus|
|Telephone||+61 3 6226 2787|
|Fax||+61 3 6226 2547 (Earth Sciences) +61 3 6226 7662 (CODES)|
Professor Khin Zaw received a BSc from Yangon University, Myanmar, in 1968, an FGA Diploma (Fellowships of Gemmological Association of Great Britain) in 1969, an MSc (Economic Geology) from Queen's University, Canada, in 1976 and a PhD from University of Tasmania in 1990. He is a Fellow of the Australasian Institute of Mining and Metallurgy. He has over 35 years' experience working on genetic aspects of mineral deposits in Canada, Australia, New Zealand, China and many parts of SE Asia (Vietnam, Laos, Cambodia, Thailand, Indonesia, Myanmar and Malaysia), and has published a considerable number of papers relating to ore genesis and mineral exploration in the Australasian region. He works closely with his counterparts from the SE Asia region. He is currently leading an industry-CODES-funded project on the Ore Deposits of SE Asia, and is looking forward to working with high-calibre PhD candidates in studying major Pb-Zn and Cu-Au ore deposits in SE Asian countries.
Khin Zaw currently holds the position of president of the Solid Earth Section of Asia Oceania Geological Society (AOGS), a prestigious Geoscience Society with the greatest number of members of any geoscience organisation in the Asia-Pacific region.
- Geochemical, isotopic and fluid inclusion studies to investigate the origin and environment of vein-type, skarn and VHMS deposits
- GIS, geological and metallogenic relation of mineral deposits in SE Asia/South China: their potential and prospectivity
- Fluid/melt characteristics, geochronology and trace element chemistry of gem deposits in SE Asia, Tasmania and eastern Australia
- Deposit characterisation and origin of a variety of Cu-Au and Pb-Zn-Ag ore deposit styles in SE Asia (porphyry, epithermal, skarn and sedimentary-rock-hosted ore deposits)
2012 PhD supervision
View other publications here
- Mousivand, F., Rastad, E., Meffre, S., Peter, J.M., Mohajjel, M., Khin Zaw, Emami, M.H., 2012, Age and tectonic setting of the Bavanat Cu-Zn-Ag Besshi-type volcanogenic massive sulfide deposit, southern Iran: Mineralium Deposita, DOI 10.1007/s00126-012-0407-6.
- Kanouo, N.S., Khin Zaw, Yongue, R.F., Sutherland, F.L., Meffre, S., Njonfang, E., Changqian, M., Tchouatcha, M.S., (2012). U-Pb Zircon age constraining the source and provenance of gem-bearing Late Cenozoic detrital deposits, Mamfe Basin, SW Cameroon: Resource Geology Vol. 62, No. 3: 317-325.
- Oliver, G., Khin Zaw, Hotson, M., (2011). Dating rocks in Singapore: Plate tectonics between 280 and 200 million years age: Innovation. V. 10, No., 2, p. 22-25.
- Hou, Z., Cook, N. J., Khin Zaw, (2009) Preface: Metallogenesis of the Tibetan Collisional Orogen: ORE GEOLOGY REVIEWS, v. 36, p. 1.
- Khositanont, S., Khin Zaw, Ounchanum, P. (2009). Mineralisation characteristics and ore fluid of Huai Kham On gold deposit, northern Thailand: Advances in Earth Sciences, Volume 13 (SE: Solid Earth), p. 1-12.
- Graham, I., Khin Zaw, Cook, N.J. (2008). Preface-The Genesis of Gem Deposits, Special Volume: ORE GEOLOGY REVIEWS, v. 34, p. 1-2.
- Khin Zaw, Peter, S.G., Nigel Cook, N.J., Hou, Zengqian, (2007). Preface-Mineral Deposits of South China, Special Volume: ORE GEOLOGY REVIEWS, v. 31, p. 1-2.