Colonialism and its Aftermath

National Trust

Servicing The Grand House In The Convict Era

Clarendon has been described as one of the great Regency houses of colonial Australia. Built on the banks of the South Esk River for James Cox in 1838 the house is now in the ownership of the National Trust (Tasmania). Although its architectural history has been the subject of several studies little is known about the domestic and estate servants employed on the property and their relationship with the Cox family.

The aim of this project is to identify the men and women who worked on the Clarendon estate during the convict era. It will employ a variety of different records including census, muster returns, bench books and convict department description and offence registers. The purpose of the project will be to write a thesis that seeks to populate the service and working areas of one of Australia's most famous colonial houses.