Motion Film and Video (video tape, DVDs, reel to reel...)

In relation to copyright, motion film and video content includes any media which embodies visual images capable of being shown as a moving picture. It also includes the sounds embodied in a sound track associated with such visual images.

Playing DVDs or online video content in a lecture or tutorial

You can play commercially released video content in a class/lecture context provided that:

  • you have not entered an agreement to the contrary (e.g a video rental agreement which only allows personal use)

  • the people in the audience or class (staff and students) are giving or receiving instruction (ie educational purposes)

  • no admission fee is charged

  • if the lecture is recorded, the video content played is not included in the recording

Any performances for which an admission fee is charged, or where members of the public attend, will require the permission of the copyright owner, and usually the payment of a royalty.

Copying or communicating video content

In many circumstances you cannot copy or communicate video content for teaching purposes unless you have permission from the copyright owner or rights holder. Students and researchers have separate exceptions to infringement that they may be able to rely upon to copy and communicate video content under the fair dealing provisions of the Copyright Act.

In very limited circumstances it may be possible to copy and communicate video content for educational purposes under the flexible dealing provision (s200AB) of the Copyright Act. Format shifting due to technological obsolescence (i.e. converting VHS to DVD as we do not have any VHS players) is one example where the University may - under certain conditions - be able to rely upon s200AB. For further information please contact the University's Copyright Officer.

Embedding and copying YouTube content

Generally there is an implied licence to embed a YouTube video on another website where the uploader provides an embed script. However, an uploader may disable this functionality and in such cases embedding is discouraged. More information about embedding YouTube content is available on the YouTube website.

The YouTube terms of use states that you should not copy (i.e. download) YouTube content unless this functionality is provided by YouTube for the particular video content. For further information you should refer to YouTube's terms of use.

TV and Radio Broadcasts

The University of Tasmania holds a statutory (Screenrights) licence allowing UTAS staff to copy and communicate free to air and subscription broadcast material. This include podcasts provided by the broadcaster which contain broadcast material. Please visit the Broadcasts web page for more information.