Recorded Music

The University holds a licence to copy commercially released sound recordings (music). This licence allows staff and students to copy and communicate pre-recorded music which is sold on phonograph, optical discs or tapes. There are some licence conditions and these are discussed below.

Sound recordings covered by the music licence

The licence agreement covers music labels and companies registered with Australasian Performing Right Association (APRA), Australasian Mechanical Copyright Owners' Society (AMCOS), Phonographic Performance Company of Australia (PPCA), and Australian Record Industry Association (ARIA).

Playing sound recordings in a lecture or tutorial

Under the Copyright Act you can play a commercially released sound recording in the course of educational instruction. If however you record the class via lectopia you are making a copy and would then be relying on the University's music licence.

Including sound recordings in course content

You can copy commercially released sound recordings of music if it is for educational purposes and related to a course of study or research. When copying sound recordings you must have notices and labelling attached.

You can also make commercially released sound recordings available online to students via a password authentication system such as through an online course management system (e.g. MyLO). The recordings can only be available in streaming only format (ie. cannot be downloaded). When making recordings available online to students you must contact the University's Copyright Officer as such use is subject to annual survey requirements.

Student use of sound recordings

Students can include commercial released sound recordings in assignments and works produced as part of their course of study. For example a student may make video or multi media recordings that include commercially released sound recordings as part of the course of instruction (an assignment).

The work created can be distributed to university staff or students and their families for private listening or viewing. No charge can be made for such distributions.

When copying sound recordings you must have notices and labelling attached.

Musical performances and recording University Events

Staff or students can perform music or play commercially released sound recordings at University events. A University event is an event organised or authorised by the University. An example may be a graduation ceremony or University exhibition of student works.

You can also copy commercially released sound recordings to be played at University events (i.e. create a compilation CD).

Audio and Audio-visual recordings of University events which contain musical performances of commercially released music or sound recordings can be made and can be sold to staff members, students (and their families) on a cost recovery basis only. The licence does not however cover events where an admission or entry fee is charged.

Licenced use of NAXOS Recordings

The Library provides access to NAXOS licenced recordings. You can provide persistent links to these recordings online within course content or student work.

The Music licence does NOT include:

  • Copying musical scores (Sheet Music). This is covered by a statutory licence. More information about this licence is available on the Texts web page.

  • Copying commercially released audiovisual content. More information is available on the Film and Video web page

  • Broadcast material. This is covered by a statutory licence. More information about this licence is available on the Broadcasts web page.

  • Copying or performance of music (sound or video) in relation to Grand Right Works (e.g. Cats, Evita), Choral works of more than 20 minutes, Dramatic Works or ballet. Permission must be obtained from the copyright owner/ publisher to copy or perform Grand Right Works. A separate licence from APRA is also required to perform music in a dramatic context.

  • Musical works not covered by music societies party to our agreement – i.e. only the works of members of ARIA, AMCOS, APRA, and PPCA.

  • Copying or communicating individually licenced content. Sound recordings downloaded from services such as iTunes may impose licence conditions that preclude the use of their content in particular circumstances. You should always abide by the terms and conditions of individually licenced content and "click through" agreements.