Teaching technologies and copyright

Teaching staff can rely upon various exceptions and licences to make copyright material available electronically and online.

Individually licenced material and UTAS owned copyright material

If you have permission or licence from the copyright owner to deal with their material then you can make it available where you like subject to the terms and conditions of that licence.

Subject to proprietary or confidentiality arrangements, material in which UTAS owns copyright may be copied and made available via UTAS technologies without any requirement for special permission to be granted. As a courtesy you should notify the creator of the material if possible. There are no limits on the amount that can be copied or the form of reproduction or communication; however as a general rule access should normally be restricted to UTAS staff and students.

Using copyright material without obtaining permission

You must become familiar with the limitations and conditions for copying and communication of copyright material outlined on the Copyright and Teaching web page before using the technologies available to host such materials. This will ensure that your use of the technologies to host material is not rejected.

The University is audited periodically under statutory license for both electronic and hardcopy copyright compliance. University staff making third party copyright material available to students online without permission must use the Library's eReserve service Reading Lists which is part of the Digital Copyright Management System (DCMS).

The DCMS is part of the University approved system for the communication of material copied under the education statutory license negotiated with the Copyright Agency (CA). The communication of copyright materials (for access by staff and/or students) from other systems is not permitted under the University's Copyright policy.The DCMS is the University's software system for recording and storing copyright materials and can be used in conjunction with MyLO.

When do I use the DCMS?

When you communicate textual material copied under the University's statutory copyright licence through MyLO you should use the DCMS to store and record the details of the items. The types of material you should put in the DCMS include book chapters, journal articles, conference papers etc, the copyright of which neither you nor the University owns.

Why can't I put content straight into MyLO?

Our statutory licence, which allows us to copy and communicate material for educational purposes, requires us to record the full details of the material for reporting to the Copyright Agency (CA). If you put material directly into MyLO, this information is not readily available. Also, the licence has various limitations and conditions. (e.g. one chapter or 10% of a book, or 1 article per journal issue). In some cases these limits apply across the University—so putting material directly in MyLO would mean the University could inadvertently exceed the copying limits.