Crown Copyright

The Copyright Act gives Commonwealth, State and Territory governments the right to deal with third party copyright material if the acts are done for the services of the crown. However, the reproduction, copying or communication of copyright material for the educational purposes of an educational institution (such as a University) is deemed not to be an act done for the services of the crown. Generally speaking Universities rely on statutory and voluntary licences to use third party copyright material for educational purposes.  Further information about the use of copyright material for educational purposes is available on the Copyright for Teaching Web Page.