- The 2017 Summer School (February) Intensive offering of this unit will run subject to enrolment numbers.
- Due to the intensive teaching of the 201& Summer School offering, it is strongly recommended that only students who need to repeat the unit, should enrol in the February intensive offering.
- For further information, please contact NCMEH Faculty Officer on 6324 3135, or email AMC.Courseinfo@utas.edu.au.
This is the foundation unit in the study of structures. By applying the knowledge gained in Statics and combining it with the concepts gained in Materials Technology the students are introduced to fundamental theories and techniques required to analyse the state of stress and strain in structural members subjected to external loads.
This knowledge will allow students to perform the engineering calculations required to ensure that a structural member meets strength, stiffness and stability requirements.
|Unit name||Mechanics of Solids|
|Faculty/School||Australian Maritime College
National Centre for Maritime Engineering and Hydrodynamics
|Discipline||National Centre for Maritime Engineering and Hydrodynamics|
Prof Kiril Tenekedjiev
|Available as student elective?||Yes|
This unit is currently unavailable.
Units are offered as On-campus where the majority of teaching will occur at the campus identified. Units offered Off-campus generally have no requirement for attendance at a physical university campus unless the unit has practical or fieldwork components*: the campus indicated for an Off-Campus unit is the one at which teaching is administered from.
*Please read the Unit Introduction in the Course and Unit Handbook for attendance requirements for units offered in Off-campus mode.
* The Final WW Date is the final date from which you can withdraw from the unit without academic penalty, however you will still incur a financial liability (see withdrawal dates explained for more information).
Unit census dates currently displaying for 2017 are indicative and subject to change. Finalised census dates for 2017 will be available from the 1st October 2016.
|Band||Field of Education|
Fees for next year will be published in October. The fees above only apply for the year shown.
Please note: international students should refer to this page to get an indicative course cost.
- Student must have prior knowledge of Materials Technology (JEE125)
and Engineering Design and Communication (JEE113) or equivalent units.
- It is strongly recommended that only students who have attempted (and failed) this unit in Semester 1, 2016, enrol in the 2017 Summer School intensive offering.
Semester 1: 3 hours Lectures weekly, 1 hour Tutorial weekly, Laboratory/Workshop as advised.
Summer School Intensive: 3 hours Lectures daily, 1 hour Tutorial daily
Semester 1: Examination 50%, Tests 30%, Practical project 20%
Summer School Intensive: Examination 60%, Class tests 30%, Tutorials 10%
|Timetable||View the lecture timetable | View the full unit timetable|
"Mechanics of Materials" by R.C. Hibbler (9th edition, SI)
The University reserves the right to amend or remove courses and unit availabilities, as appropriate.