This unit is only available to those students who have undertaken the comparable Professional learning Institute unit.
This unit is aligned to theShadowing for Aspiring Principalsprofessional learning program from the Department of Education. The nationally recognised program takes account of contemporary learning models for the development of future principals. It provides participants with an understanding of the practices that underpin the work of effective principals. Aspiring principals develop a self-understanding of their leadership style and emotional intelligence skills and enrich their capability to become a school principal.
The key components of the program for aspiring principals include:
- Completing a self-assessment tool using the Australian Professional Standard for Principals Reflection Tool
- Accessing professional learning and skill development through reading, discussions, networks, and case studies
- Observing another principal by engaging in a continuous shadowing experience for up to five days, plus follow-up reflective conversations
- Examining various leadership pathways to the principalship
- Working with a trusted colleague to learn what effective principals do
- Being exposed to other leadership styles
- Developing a school leadership action research learning project.
|Unit name||Shadowing for Aspiring Principals|
|Faculty/School||College of Arts, Law and Education
School of Education
|Discipline||School of Education|
|Available as student elective?||No|
|Location||Study period||Attendance options||Available to|
|Launceston||Spring school (extended)||Off-Campus||International||Domestic|
- International students
- Domestic students
Units are offered as On-campus where the majority of teaching will occur at the campus identified. Units offered Off-campus generally have no requirement for attendance at a physical university campus unless the unit has practical or fieldwork components*: the campus indicated for an Off-Campus unit is the one at which teaching is administered from.
*Please read the Unit Introduction in the Course and Unit Handbook for attendance requirements for units offered in Off-campus mode.
|Study Period||Start date||Census date||WW date||End date|
|Spring school (extended)||30/10/2017||23/11/2017||22/12/2017||13/2/2018|
* The Final WW Date is the final date from which you can withdraw from the unit without academic penalty, however you will still incur a financial liability (see withdrawal dates explained for more information).
Unit census dates currently displaying for 2017 are indicative and subject to change. Finalised census dates for 2017 will be available from the 1st October 2016.
|Band||CSP Student Contribution||Full Fee Paying (domestic)||Field of Education|
|1||2017: $793.00||2017: $1,903.00||079999|
Fees for next year will be published in October. The fees above only apply for the year shown.
Please note: international students should refer to this page to get an indicative course cost.
Satisfactory participation in / completion ofShadowing for Aspiring Principalscourse (50%). Critical Reflection (50%)
|Timetable||View the lecture timetable | View the full unit timetable|
|Required||Refer Bookshop link|
|Recommended||Refer Bookshop link|
Co-op Bookshop links
The University reserves the right to amend or remove courses and unit availabilities, as appropriate.