Infectious Disease is a study of the basic principles of antimicrobial chemotherapy and its application to the management of illness resulting from the presence and growth of pathogenic biological agents. This unit aims to develop your knowledge of infectious diseases, with an emphasis on the appropriate use of antimicrobial chemotherapy in the management of these infections. The unit is taught in two concurrent streams. The first explores the basic pharmacological actions of a variety of antimicrobial chemotherapeutic agents, whilst the second stream integrates this knowledge into the management of a variety of infectious diseases.
This unit is taught using a combination of lectures and interactive workshops. Workshops use a case-based approach to develop your ability to apply your knowledge of antibiotics and infections diseases to common clinical scenarios.
Unit objective: to develop a practical knowledge of chemotherapy and biotherapy and their application to an understanding of the nature and management of infectious conditions.
|Unit name||Infectious Disease|
|Faculty/School||College of Health and Medicine
School of Medicine
|Available as student elective?||Yes|
|Location||Study period||Attendance options||Available to|
- International students
- Domestic students
Please check that your computer meets the minimum System Requirements if you are attending via Distance/Off-Campus.
Units are offered in attending mode unless otherwise indicated (that is attendance is required at the campus identified). A unit identified as offered by distance, that is there is no requirement for attendance, is identified with a nominal enrolment campus. A unit offered to both attending students and by distance from the same campus is identified as having both modes of study.
Special approval is required for enrolment into TNE Program units.
|Study Period||Start date||Census date||WW date||End date|
* The Final WW Date is the final date from which you can withdraw from the unit without academic penalty, however you will still incur a financial liability (see withdrawal dates explained for more information).
Unit census dates currently displaying for 2019 are indicative and subject to change. Finalised census dates for 2019 will be available from the 1st October 2018.
|Band||CSP Student Contribution||Full Fee Paying (domestic)||Field of Education|
|2||2019: $1,169.00||2019: $2,200.00||060501|
Fees for next year will be published in October. The fees above only apply for the year shown.
Please note: international students should refer to this page to get an indicative course cost.
PrerequisitesCJA214 or CJA212 or KLA210
3 x 1 hr lectures weekly
Two 1-hr written tests during semester (20% each, total 40%), 2-hr written examination (60%)
|Timetable||View the lecture timetable | View the full unit timetable|
Co-op Bookshop links
The University reserves the right to amend or remove courses and unit availabilities, as appropriate.