Click on the following link to access details of UniStart dates and study options - http://www.utas.edu.au/unistart/
UniStart is a program designed to equip you with the essential skills required for independent learning and success at University, such as critical thinking, critical reading and academic writing. UniStart guides you through the skills and processes involved in preparing a university-level assignment and the requirements for studying at a tertiary level. UniStart also provides you with the opportunity to improve your skills in: using the University library effectively; navigating the online environment at the University of Tasmania; acclimatising to university; presentation skills; oral communication; and writing formally for university.
UniStart aims to help you develop the essential skills required for independent learning and success at University so you can;
- understand the process of preparing a university level assignment and what it means to write formally for university;
- access and effectively use university learning resources such as the Library;
- understand what is meant by academic honesty; use critical thinking in your studies.
- critically reflect on areas of strength and weakness in your academic skills
UniStart consists of:
- a face-to-face program of lectures and workshops (on-campus mode) or online tutorials, information and activities (distance mode) before the beginning of each semester
- online resources that can be accessed at any time during semester,
- workshops and individual learning skills consultations available during semester, and
UniStart is free to all University of Tasmania students, except full fee-paying International students,
Domestic students: You can enrol in UniStart when you make your application. As you complete the online process, you will be asked if you want to enrol in Unistart. Tick the UniStart box. You will be sent an email inviting you to fill in a form on our website which will complete your enrolment. Alternatively, you can add UniStart (XLL001) by going to our website and completing the online form (e.g. if you have accepted your offer and did not enrol in UniStart at the time or you are already enrolled at university).
Select the campus and mode of study: On-Campus in Hobart, Launceston, Cradle Coast, Rozelle (Semester 3 only) or St Vincent's (Semester 3 only) or by Distance. (If you choose to study On-campus in Hobart or Launceston in Semester 3, there are two offerings). Visit http://www.utas.edu.au/unistart/ for the dates of each program.
If you miss the on campus offerings but would still like to enrol, there will be a Distance offering for Semester 1 and you can enrol in this after the 16th of February. Just go to the UniStart website for details.
International students are not eligible to enrol in UniStart.
Fees & scholarships
Fees for Domestic students are based on individual unit selections. Please refer to the fees section of each unit description to work out an indicative annual cost.
Annual Tuition Fee is inclusive of the compulsory Student Services and Amenities (SSA) fee. The SSA fee for 2018 is $298 AUD.
For information on general scholarships available at the University of Tasmania, please visit the scholarships website.
How can we help?
Do you have any questions about choosing a course or applying? Get in touch.