Course rules for M4N Bachelor of Medical Science with Honours
1. The Faculty of Health (hereinafter called the Faculty) may accept as a candidate for the award of Bachelor of Medical Science with Honours a person who:
|[i]||has qualified for admission to the degree of Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery at this university; and|
|[ii]||has been accepted by the Faculty in the course for the degree referred to in (i), having completed a minimum of 300% load over three years, and (ii) as having reached a minimum standard of credit average, or equivalent; or|
|[iii]||has completed a minimum of 300% load over three years in the degree of Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery at another approved tertiary institution; and (ii) as has reached a minimum standard of credit average, or equivalent.|
2. Candidates for the degree shall pursue a nominated course of study approved by the Faculty. Unless otherwise approved by the Faculty, the subject area chosen by the candidate shall be one in which the candidate has undertaken selective study in the year three of the degree of Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery.
3. The course of study shall require the equivalent of one full year of study and shall be completed within one year from the time the candidate enrols for the course, provided that:
|(a)||the Faculty may permit a candidate to study the course on a part-time basis over a period not exceeding two consecutive years.|
|(b)||the Faculty may allow a candidate whose work has been interrupted by illness or other unavoidable cause to complete the course over a period exceeding one year or, in the case of a part-time candidate as defined in (a) above, over a period exceeding two years.|
|(c)||where a thesis is required as part of an Honours examination, the head of the school may recommend that a candidate be granted an extension of time to submit the thesis. Any cases so approved by the dean or the dean's delegate shall be reported to the next meeting of the degree board.|
4. The classes of honours shall be first class, second class, and third class. There shall be an upper and lower division in the second class.
Credit for previous studies
5. No credit will be available for previous studies.
6. The Faculty may from time to time make amendments to the Schedules to these specifications.
7. These specifications shall take effect on 1 January 2009 and shall apply to all candidates for the degree*, including those enrolling for the first time in that year and those enrolled subsequently.
8. Candidates who have passed in appropriate units towards the Bachelor of Medical Science with Honours under the specifications in force prior to 1 January 2009 will be entitled to to graduate in accordance with those degree* specifications operating at the time of their admission to candidature.
9. Should any difficulty arise for a candidate previously enrolled because of any difference between course requirements (such as required majors) and units offered under these specifications and those previously in force, the Faculty shall ensure that the candidate is not materially disadvantaged by these specifications.
10. The approved abbreviation for the degree* of Bachelor of Medical Science with Honours shall be BMedSc(Hons)