Course rules for S7O Master of Marine and Antarctic Science
1. Candidates for the Master of Antarctic Science shall be qualified for entry in accordance with the provisions of the University's Rules of Admission.
2. Candidates for the degree shall complete the degree requirements, as hereinafter prescribed, in not less than 3 semesters of full-time study (or its equivalent)] and not more than 6 semesters from the time of first enrolment.
3. To qualify for the degree of Master of Antarctic Science, the candidate shall pass all units listed in Schedule A and undertake such practical exercises/experience as may be required to satisfy the degree requirements. In every case the candidate's choice of units and the order in which they are taken shall be subject to approval by the Dean.
4. Every candidate other than one whom Faculty may exempt from this condition shall: [i] attend such lectures, tutorial classes and laboratory sessions, and satisfactorily complete such exercises, projects or practical work as prescribed. [ii] complete the requirements for the degree within a period specified by the Dean or representative of the dean, provided that - (a) the maximum period shall not exceed eighteen months from the date of commencement; (b) the Dean or representative of the Dean may extend the maximum period to thirty-six months in a case of a part-time candidate.
Credit for Previous Studies
5. Passes in subjects or units in other courses (completed or otherwise) in this University or another approved tertiary institution (or other approved professional examining body) may be credited towards the degree, provided that the Faculty may specify what more a candidate so credited shall be required to do to qualify for the degree*.
6. The Faculty may from time to time make amendments to the Schedules to these specifications.
7. These specifications shall take effect on 1 January 2008 and shall apply to all candidates for the degree of Master of Antarctic Science, including those enrolling for the first time in that year and those enrolled subsequently.
8. The approved abbreviation for the degree of Master of Antarctic Science shall be MAntSc.