Course rules for A3A Bachelor of Arts
Single Bachelor degrees
1. These Specifications shall take effect on 1 January 2018 and shall apply to all candidates enrolled in single Bachelor degrees under the Degrees of Difference framework.
2. Candidates for the Bachelor degrees shall be admitted in accordance with Rule 3 Admission and Student Progress.
3. Candidates for the degrees shall complete the degree requirements in not more than the degree maximum, which will be twice the course length and one additional year. The maximum completion time will be calculated from the commencement of the first unit which is passed and which counts towards the degree requirements.
4.1 Degree elements
The Bachelor of Arts (BA) will comprise:
a. a minimum of 24 units (300 credit points) or equivalent for the bachelor-level qualification (AQF Level 7), where a standard unit measure is 12.5 credit points.
c. The units which may be included in the degree shall, unless otherwise approved by the Dean, be in accordance with the approved Schedules accompanying these Specifications and will at a minimum include:
- Degree Core Knowledge: 8 units (100 credit points), that includes 2 breadth units, and one minor, 4 units (50 credit points) in a second Humanities or Social Science discipline area, comprised of
o 2 introductory and 2 intermediate units; or
o 4 units demonstrating progression of learning in a discipline, comprising various combinations of level100, 200, 300 units
- Disciplinary Outcomes: minimum requirement of one disciplinary major in the AQF 7 component of the degree. The disciplinary major is 8 units (100 credit points), comprised of
o 2 introductory, 2 intermediate and 4 advanced units
o 2 introductory, 3 intermediate and 3 advanced units, or
o 2 introductory, 4 intermediate and 2 advanced units
- Experience and Engagement units: 8 units (100 credit points) comprised of 4 units (50 credit points) of degree electives, chosen from the BA schedule and 4 units (50 credit points) of student electives, chosen from any discipline offered by the University - Breadth Units: a minimum of 2 units (25 credit points) In the BA the two breadth units are completed as degree core knowledge units.
d. Explicitly address the requirements of the University Graduate Statement within the AQF Level 7 component of the degree.
5. Enrolment conditions
5.1 Enrolment in all units will be in accordance with requisites determined by the relevant College, Faculty or Institute.
5.2 When two or more units of the same name or content are offered within the University, only one may be counted towards the degree.
6. Award Eligibility
Students will be permitted to graduate with the bachelor-level (AQF 7) qualification where relevant. Students will be permitted to graduate with the associate degree-level (AQF 6) qualification where relevant.
7. Enrolment exemption ‐ credit for previous studies
Passes in units in other incomplete courses in this University or another approved tertiary institution (or other approved professional examining body) may be credited towards the degree and a course plan developed to detail the units required by the student to qualify for the degree. The maximum credit granted will be in accordance with the limits as stated in Rule 3 Admission and Student Progress.
Students who have passed units towards degrees under the previous Specifications will be entitled to transfer to the degrees under these Specifications with full equivalent credit. The transition for continuing students to these Specifications will be managed to ensure that students are not disadvantaged.