Course rules for P4F2 Bachelor of Engineering (Specialisation) with Honours - AUT
Single Bachelor degrees with Honours
1. These Specifications shall take effect on 1 January 2018 and shall apply to all candidates enrolled in single Bachelor degrees with Honours under the Degrees of Difference framework.
2. Candidates for the Bachelor degrees with Honours shall be admitted in accordance with Rule 3 Admission and Student Progress.
3. Candidates for the degrees shall complete the degree requirements in not more than the degree maximum, which will be twice the course length and one additional year. The maximum completion time will be calculated from the commencement of the first unit which is passed and which counts towards the degree requirements.
4. Degree requirements
4.1 Degree elements
The Bachelor of Engineering (Specialisation) with Honours will comprise 412.5 credit points in total and include:
a. a minimum of 300 credit points for the bachelor-level qualification (AQF Level 7).
b. and an honours-level year of study (AQF Level 8) that:
- -is defined as 112.5 credit points with a minimum of 50% research project component
- allows a specialisation in honours – research
c. The units which may be included in the degree shall, unless otherwise approved by the Dean, be in accordance with the approved Schedules accompanying these Specifications and will at a minimum include:
- Degree Core Knowledge – a total of 8 units (100 credit points).
- Disciplinary Outcomes – minimum requirement of one disciplinary specialisation defined as 8 units (100 credit points).
- Experience and Engagement units – a total of 6 prescribed units (75 credit points)
- Breadth Units – a total of 2 units (25 credit points) from the list of approved breadth units
- Honours Units – a total of 8 units (100 credit points)
- One practical experience based unit (12.5 credit points) and
d. Explicitly address the requirements of the University Graduate Statement within the AQF Level 7 component of the degree.
4.2 Required volume of learning
To qualify for the Bachelor with Honours level degree, the candidate shall complete a total of 412.5 credit points required for the degree in accordance with the approved Schedules.
5. Enrolment conditions
5.1 Enrolment in all units will be in accordance with requisites determined by the relevant College, Faculty or Institute.
5.2 When two or more units of the same name or content are offered within the University, only one may be counted towards the degree.
6. Award Eligibility
6.1 Specialisations completed by candidates will appear on the testamurs of graduating students in the form Bachelor of Engineering (Specialisation) with Honours.
6.2 The award of honours shall be assessed on the basis of the candidate’s academic record and the classes of honours shall be first, second and third class.
6.3 Students will be permitted to graduate with the bachelor-level (AQF 7) exit qualification where relevant.
7. Enrolment exemption ‐ credit for previous studies
Passes in units in other incomplete courses in this University or another approved tertiary institution (or other approved professional examining body) may be credited towards the degree and a course plan developed to detail the units required by the student to qualify for the degree. The maximum credit granted will be in accordance with the limits as stated in Rule 3 Admission and Student Progress.
Students who have passed units towards degrees under the previous Specifications will be entitled to transfer to the degrees under these Specifications with full equivalent credit. The transition for continuing students to these Specifications will be managed to ensure that students are not disadvantaged.