Courses & Units

GradDip Project Part A KGG512

Hobart

Note:

This unit is for students undertaking the project work component of the Graduate Diploma in Spatial Science over two semesters. It is the first of two 25% units. The second 25% unit is KGG513 GradDipSpSc Project part B. The two combined are equivalent to the 50% weighted unit KGG511 GradDipSpSc Project.

Introduction

In this unit, you will commence a significant independent project that will require you to apply and extend the knowledge and skills acquired from the coursework units of your GradDipSpSc. The project will comprise an application of geospatial science to an authentic problem or challenge. The application may be local, national or international. The unit is intended to: further develop your ability to acquire and critically evaluate relevant information from the published literature and to synthesize a systematic and logical review that identifies key issues, concepts and theory; further develop your understanding of the processes required in order to research, develop and apply solutions to complex geospatial problems; extend your advanced practical training in geospatial science and techniques; further develop your written skills to a level appropriate for preparation of professional reports; and provide opportunities for you to further develop your oral communication skills in the context of communicating science to a variety of audiences.

Summary

Unit name GradDip Project Part A
Unit code KGG512
Credit points 25
Faculty/School College of Sciences and Engineering
School of Technology, Environments and Design
Discipline Geography and Spatial Sciences
Coordinator Dr C Watson
Teaching staff

Coordinator: Dr C Watson. Supervision: All members of the academic staff.

Level Postgraduate
Available as student elective? Yes
Breadth Unit? No

Availability

Location Study period Attendance options Available to
Hobart Semester 1 On-Campus International Domestic
Hobart Semester 2 On-Campus International Domestic

Key

On-campus
Off-Campus
International students
Domestic students
Note

Please check that your computer meets the minimum System Requirements if you are attending via Distance/Off-Campus.

Units are offered in attending mode unless otherwise indicated (that is attendance is required at the campus identified). A unit identified as offered by distance, that is there is no requirement for attendance, is identified with a nominal enrolment campus. A unit offered to both attending students and by distance from the same campus is identified as having both modes of study.

Special approval is required for enrolment into TNE Program units.

TNE Program units special approval requirements.

Key Dates

Study Period Start date Census date WW date End date
Semester 1 24/2/2020 23/3/2020 13/4/2020 31/5/2020
Semester 2 13/7/2020 10/8/2020 31/8/2020 18/10/2020

* The Final WW Date is the final date from which you can withdraw from the unit without academic penalty, however you will still incur a financial liability (see withdrawal dates explained for more information).

Unit census dates currently displaying for 2020 are indicative and subject to change. Finalised census dates for 2020 will be available from the 1st October 2020.

About Census Dates

Fees

Domestic

Band CSP Student Contribution Full Fee Paying (domestic) Field of Education
2 2020: $2,381.00 2020: $5,596.00 031101

Fees for next year will be published in October. The fees above only apply for the year shown.

Please note: international students should refer to this page to get an indicative course cost.

Requisites

Mutual Exclusions

You cannot enrol in this unit as well as the following:

  • KGG511

Teaching

Teaching Pattern

Weekly progress meetings with Project Supervisor.

Assessment

Approx. 5,000 word equivalent draft project report.

TimetableView the lecture timetable | View the full unit timetable

Textbooks

RequiredNone
Co-op Bookshop links

The University reserves the right to amend or remove courses and unit availabilities, as appropriate.