Courses & Units

Academic Numeracy XAB091

Hobart, Launceston, Cradle Coast


The student contribution amount for this unit is fully subsidised and therefore not payable by the student.

Spring 2018 delivery dates: 26 November 2018 to 1 February 2019. Spring delivery subject to enrolment numbers.


This unit provides students with foundation numeracy skills and knowledge in preparation for University degree subjects which have no specific mathematical component or requirement (eg Arts, Fine Arts, Education), but which typically require a range of numeracy skills. It also provides numeracy knowledge and skills for students attempting subjects with an identified maths component such as Business, Nursing, Paramedic Practice and Psychology. Areas covered include basic number concepts, data representation and interpretation, finance and an introduction to algebra and statistics.

*All UPP students are also enrolled in Supported Studies units each semester. These are support units only and do not include assessment.


Unit name Academic Numeracy
Unit code XAB091
Credit points 12.5
Faculty/School University College
Discipline Pre-Degree

Dr Pragati Jain

Teaching staff

Level Foundation
Available as student elective? No
Breadth Unit? No


Location Study period Attendance options Available to
Hobart Semester 1 On-Campus Domestic
Hobart Semester 2 On-Campus Domestic
Hobart Spring school (November) On-Campus Domestic
Launceston Semester 1 On-Campus Off-Campus Domestic Domestic
Launceston Semester 2 On-Campus Off-Campus Domestic Domestic
Launceston Spring school (November) On-Campus Off-Campus Domestic Domestic
Cradle Coast Semester 1 On-Campus Domestic
Cradle Coast Semester 2 On-Campus Domestic
Cradle Coast Spring school (November) On-Campus Domestic


International students
Domestic students

Please check that your computer meets the minimum System Requirements if you are attending via Distance/Off-Campus.

Units are offered in attending mode unless otherwise indicated (that is attendance is required at the campus identified). A unit identified as offered by distance, that is there is no requirement for attendance, is identified with a nominal enrolment campus. A unit offered to both attending students and by distance from the same campus is identified as having both modes of study.

Special approval is required for enrolment into TNE Program units.

TNE Program units special approval requirements.

Key Dates

Study Period Start date Census date WW date End date
Semester 1 26/2/2018 23/3/2018 16/4/2018 3/6/2018
Semester 2 16/7/2018 10/8/2018 3/9/2018 21/10/2018
Spring school (November) 12/11/2018 2/12/2018 27/12/2018 10/2/2019

* The Final WW Date is the final date from which you can withdraw from the unit without academic penalty, however you will still incur a financial liability (see withdrawal dates explained for more information).

Unit census dates currently displaying for 2018 are indicative and subject to change. Finalised census dates for 2018 will be available from the 1st October 2017.

About Census Dates



Band CSP Student Contribution Field of Education
2 2018: $1,148.00 010101

Fees for next year will be published in October. The fees above only apply for the year shown.

Please note: international students should refer to this page to get an indicative course cost.



Teaching Pattern

Semester 1 and Semester 2: Two hour lecture and one hour tutorial weekly.

Spring school: Three hour tutorial/workshop per week (wks 2-7)


Three assignments (10%, 20% and 30%); weekly online quizzes (10% total); tutorial participation (10%); tutorial exercises (20%).

TimetableView the lecture timetable | View the full unit timetable



No required text.

Co-op Bookshop links

The University reserves the right to amend or remove courses and unit availabilities, as appropriate.