A new campus at West Park
The University will build a new $40 million campus at West Park in the heart of Burnie. The first stage of this development is complete, in the shape of student accommodation and teaching facilities in the old Home Economics Building and the iconic Makers’ Workshop.
Based on extensive consultation with the community, the 10-year master plan for the site incorporates world-class research and teaching facilities, ample car parking and easy public access, including via pedestrian and public transport. It allows for better cohesion between University, business and community use of the site, while being sensitive to the natural environment.
Social & Economic Impact
The new Burnie campus is projected to create significant ongoing benefits in the north of the State.
Key achievements & milestones
Achievements to date:
- Stage 1 complete with student accommodation and renovations to the Makers’ Workshop and the former Domestic Arts Building
- Advisory group established to development in line with broader city planning
- Design principles agreed with key partners
- Master plan released following extensive community consultation
- Detailed design process, including extensive consultation with University staff to create world-class spaces for teaching and learning
- Architectural designs submitted to Burnie City Council for planning approval in the second half of 2017
- Commence construction by end 2017
We consulted extensively during the master planning process read the full report on consultation feedback (PDF 606KB).
We are now at the detailed design stage, which will involve targeted consultation with key groups.