Skip to content

Citizenship & Residency

If your citizenship/residency status has changed, please complete a Change of citizenship/residency status form (PDF 165.8KB) and attach documentary evidence in support of a change in status. This form must be submitted as soon as possible after a change of citizenship/residency and prior to the related census date for changes to take immediate effect.

For more information on census dates, please visit Census Dates.

You must supply a certified copy of documentation that supports your change in status. Documentation may include:

Australian citizenship

  • Certificate of Australian Citizenship (front and back of certificate)
  • Australian passport

Note: You will obtain Australian citizenship only after you have made the pledge of commitment and have been issued with Evidence of Australian Citizenship from the Department of Home Affairs (DHA).

Australian permanent residents or humanitarian visa holders

Current passport and:

  • visa label endorsed in passport
  • Electronic Visa (e-visa) or a copy of your letter from the Department of Immigration and Citizenship (DIAC) notifying of visa grant


  • Travel Document (Humanitarian Visa Holders)

Date residency commenced is either:

  • the date your permanent residency was granted in Australia
  • the date you entered Australia for the first time after your permanent residency was granted outside of Australia

New Zealand citizenship

  • New Zealand citizenship certificate
  • New Zealand passport

Eligibility for Commonwealth supported or domestic full-fee paying places

Students who are granted Australian citizenship or permanent residency will be offered a Commonwealth supported place if they are enrolled in an undergraduate or postgraduate course where Commonwealth supported places are available. If Commonwealth supported places are not available, students will be offered a domestic full-fee paying place.

An immediate change will only be actioned if you have notified UTAS of this change prior to the relevant semester census date and provided documentary evidence in support of a change in status.

Request for Commonwealth support and HECS-HELP

All students who are granted a Commonwealth supported place (CSP), or students who are already enrolled in a CSP but are now eligible for a HECS-HELP loan, must complete a new Request for Commonwealth support and HECS-HELP form for each course and submit this with their change of citizenship/residency status form.


Students whose citizenship is officially changed prior to the relevant census date may become eligible for FEE-HELP. For further information about FEE-HELP please refer to the relevant page on the Study Assist website.


Students whose citizenship is officially changed prior to the relevant semester date may be eligible for SA-HELP to defer their student services and amenities fee. For further information on SA-HELP please refer to the relevant page on the Study Assist website.

More information

If you have any queries about the change of citizenship/residency status process, please contact U Connect on 1300 361 928 Monday to Friday during business hours or submit an enquiry here.