Students require a current University of Tasmania ID card to verify their identity for enrolment, examination and security purposes and to utilise Library and printing services. We will provide a Student ID card to each student free of charge for approximately the duration of their degree. If a card expires and needs extending, or if there is a problem with a card, we will replace it free of charge. Otherwise, there is a $10 charge to replace lost or damaged cards.
In addition to your Student ID card, electronic access cards are available for issue and can allow access to various buildings on campus. For further information on electronic access cards, you can find out more or apply for a card at Campus Services.
For information about privacy provisions and cultural considerations, see Declaration Information below.
In most cases your card can be produced when you have a working username and password, or after the Student Centre processes your form in the case of special programs. You will be classified as a full-time student if that has been indicated at the time of application.
Where and when to get your ID card
- New Students -
ID cards are produced in Student Services and Information Centre locations throughout the year, however at the commencement of the year they are available in specific locations at specific times:
|Morris Miller Library||9:00am - 4:00pm - Weekdays||February 20th - March 3rd|
(Orientation Week and Week 1)
|Launceston Campus Library||9:00am - 4:00pm - Weekdays||February 20th - March 3rd|
(Orientation Week and Week 1)
|Inveresk||11:30am - 1:30pm||Tuesday, 21st February|
|Hobart - Medical Precinct (Rm 107)||9:00am - 12:00pm||Friday, 24th February|
|Hobart - Nursing (Domain - Rm 210)||11:00am - 3:30pm||Tuesday, 21st February|
|Hobart - Music (Conservatorium)||TBA||Wednesday, 1st March|
Please bring some photo identification (e.g., driver's licence) and your student identification number (as shown on your letter of offer) when you come to get your card.
New students, there will be ID Card printing sessions available for you in the Orientation Week leading to Semester 1 and Semester 2 each year. Those times will be advertised here, and in your Orientation Guide. You are encouraged to obtain your ID card in Orientation Week.
- Continuing Students -
If you have an existing ID card, then it should now be a degree-length date.
Please contact Student Services if this is not the case.
- Distance students -
- New Distance students – Send an email from your UTAS email account with a passport sized photo image and a scanned copy of another form of photo ID (i.e., driver's licence) to Student.Services@utas.edu.au. Alternately you can post a passport-sized photo, certified on the back as a true copy, with a photocopy of other photo ID and your student identification number to: Student Centre, Locked Bag 1345 Launceston Tas 7250.
- Continuing Distance students – If you received an ID card previously, your photo is stored on our ID card system. We will use that unless you specifically require an updated image. Please send an email from your UTAS email account to Student.Services@utas.edu.au requesting a new ID card if you need to continue study past the date printed on your card. It will be posted to the residential address recorded on your eStudent portal unless you specify otherwise. This card will have the new extended expiry date for the life of your degree.
The University of Tasmania collects stores and uses information, including student images, for the purpose of administration of the student's enrolment and progress in their study, the provision of other services to the student by the University and to comply with the Higher Education Support Act 2003. Student images (photographs) are collected and stored for the purpose of:
- the production of a photographic identification card
- producing a replacement card using an existing image
- the production of photographic class lists