Students require a current UTAS ID card to verify their identity for enrolment, examination and security purposes and to utilise Library and printing services. UTAS will provide a Student ID card to each student free of charge each academic year. There is a $10 charge to replace lost or damaged cards.
In addition to your Student ID card, electronic access cards are available for issue and can allow access to various buildings on campus. For further information on electronic access cards, you can find out more or apply for a card at Campus Services.
For information about privacy provisions and cultural considerations, see Declaration Information below.
In most cases your card can be produced when you have a working username and password, or after the Student Centre processes your form in the case of special programs. To be classified as a full-time student, you need to complete your enrolment for both semesters 1 and 2 with a minimum of 37.5 points in each.
Where and when to get your 2015 ID card
New and Continuing Students
ID cards are produced in the Student Centre in Hobart and Launceston throughout the year. If you have an existing ID card, then the same photo will be used on any subsequent cards printed.
Please bring some photo identification (e.g., driver's licence, last year's card) and your student identification number (as shown on your letter of offer) when you come to get your card.
Cradle Coast Campus
- ID card sessions – ongoing Monday to Friday 9am to 5pm in the Student Centre.
Rozelle and St Vincents
- New students – Staff at the local administration office will take your photo and send it to the Student Centre for production of the ID cards. Please contact your local office for details.
- Continuing students – 2015 cards will be produced using the original photo (prior to expiry on 31 March) and sent to the administration office. If you need to update your photo please see staff at your local administration office.
- New Distance students – Send an email from your UTAS email account with a passport sized photo image and a scanned copy of another form of photo ID (i.e., driver's licence) to Student.Centre@utas.edu.au. Alternately you can post a passport-sized photo, certified on the back as a true copy, with a photocopy of other photo ID and your student identification number to: Student Centre, Locked Bag 1345 Launceston Tas 7250.
- Continuing Distance students – If you received an ID card in 2014, your photo is stored on our ID card system. We will use that unless you require an updated image. Please send an email from your UTAS email account to Student.Centre@utas.edu.au requesting a 2015 ID card. It will be posted to the residential address recorded on your eStudent portal unless you specify otherwise.
The University of Tasmania collects stores and uses information, including student images, for the purpose of administration of the student's enrolment and progress in their study, the provision of other services to the student by the University and to comply with the Higher Education Support Act 2003. Student images (photographs) are collected and stored for the purpose of:
- the production of a photographic identification card
- producing a replacement card using an existing image
- the production of photographic class lists