The John Elliott Classics Museum is housed in the University Centre on Churchill Avenue and contains representative examples of the art and culture of ancient Egypt and Mesopotamia, Greece, Etruria and Rome. It contains approximately 800 pieces with new additions purchased or donated on a regular basis.
In 1954 the then Professor of Classics, J.R. Elliott, initiated the acquisition of ancient Greek vases with a view to creating a collection which would both serve as a teaching adjunct to the courses in the Department of History and Classics and provide an exhibition of original antiquities accessible to all Tasmanians.
The museum is proud to have maintained Professor Elliott's vision as it serves the University, primary and secondary schools; and the public in general.
Tours are available on request for school groups or other general interest groups.
Authorised by Director, Events & Protocol
20 July, 2011