The University of Tasmania is making available HECS Scholarships* for the equivalent of one academic year of full-time study to any commencing students who have been made redundant from permanent or long-term casual employment within the last six months.
This offer is extended as support for those seeking new or additional qualifications to better their employment opportunities.
An information sheet (PDF121.5KB) which outlines eligibility guidelines and how to apply for the HECS Scholarships is available.
What can I study?
The Redundancy Support HECS Scholarships apply to Commonwealth supported programs* at the University of Tasmania. This means you can choose from: a range of more than 100 undergraduate degrees; or postgraduate coursework degrees in more than 50 different disciplines.
Information including course advice and how to apply is available from the team in the Uni Info Centre, who can be contacted by phone on 1300 363 864 or by email Course.Info@utas.edu.au.
*The postgraduate domestic fee schedule indicates which postgraduate coursework programs are offered on a Commonwealth supported basis.
For those who are not qualified for Bachelor degree entry, places will be available in the Bachelor of General Studies (Pathway) programs, the University Preparation Program and Bridging programs. See Enabling and Supporting Programs.
Am I eligible for a Redundancy Support HECS Scholarship?
This opportunity is extended to commencing University of Tasmania students who meet the following eligibility criteria:
- have been made redundant from either permanent or long-term casual employment within the six months prior to commencing study at the University of Tasmania:
- are able to provide documentary evidence of the redundancy;
- are not currently receiving any other University of Tasmania scholarships
- are Australia citizens OR permanent residency visa holders residing in Australia during their studies; and
- are eligible for a Commonwealth supported place under the HECS-HELP system (this applies to most people – see studyassist.gov.au for eligibility guidelines) and fulfil Commonwealth requirements.
If students enter Bachelor degree through pathway programs including Bachelor of General Studies (Pathway) programs, the University Preparation Program or the Bridging programs, they are able to hold the redundancy support HECS scholarship until they commence unit/s with HECS liability, provided there is no break longer than six months from the completion of the pathway programs.
How do I enrol?
- Submit your online application to study at the University of Tasmania for your preferred degree here
- Once you have received your offer of a place at the University of Tasmania, follow the instructions provided to accept your offer
- When completing your enrolment in your eStudent you must also complete the Redundancy Support HECS Scholarship application (accessed via the 'Finance & Scholarships' option listed on the top menu)
- You should then forward a copy of your redundancy documentation, with your University of Tasmania Student ID noted on the top, to the Student Centre.
- The scholarship deduction will appear on the fees invoice available online in your eStudent.
- The HECS Scholarships are available for the equivalent of one year of full time study (e.g. 8 X 12.5% units or 4 X 25% units - a total unit value of 100%) whether studied full-time or part-time.
- The scholarship covers study in Commonwealth supported programs only and is not applicable for full fee paying courses
- Failure to complete the unit/s to which the HECS Scholarship has been applied may result in termination of the scholarship for future semesters.
- Students in receipt of the HECS Scholarships must maintain continuous enrolment for the duration of the Scholarship (e.g. Semester 1 followed by Semester 2 in the same year, or Semester 2 in one year followed by Semester 1 in the following year). Exceptions may be granted over a period of intermission if a formal Leave of Absence is approved. Scholarships can not be deferred.
- Students must meet the Redundancy Support HECS Scholarship eligibility requirements as outlined above.
- Normal University of Tasmania admission requirements apply
- The HECS scholarship is not available retrospectively
Need more information?
If you want to know more about the Redundancy Support HECS scholarship, course information or general advice about the University of Tasmania, please contact the Uni Info Centre on 1300 363 864 to discuss your options or to make an appointment with a Student Advisor. Alternatively, email Course.Info@utas.edu.au