The University of Tasmania is committed to providing ongoing support and learning opportunities for eligible teaching, administrative and general staff working in the education sector. This commitment flows through to employees with an initiative that offers HECS scholarships for university study valued at up to $2,566 per year.
An information sheet (PDF121.5KB) which outlines eligibility guidelines and how to register for the HECS scholarship is available.
How do I qualify for a scholarship?
This opportunity is extended to all teaching and non-teaching staff within the Tasmanian education sector who:
- are employed by the Department of Education (DOE), Tasmanian Catholic Education Office (TCEO) and other Catholic schools in Tasmania, TasTAFE or one of many Independent schools throughout the state; and
- are employed on a continuing basis (full-time and part-time) or who are on a fixed-term contract of 12 months or more;
- will continue to be employed within the sector while undertaking the HECS scholarship units; and are eligible for a Commonwealth supported place under the HECS-HELP system (this applies to most people - see studyassist.gov.au for eligibility guidelines); and
- are not currently receiving any other UTAS HECS scholarships.
What can I enrol in?
You may choose something that relates closely to your regular employment, or you may wish to undertake something that provides you with learning opportunities in a subject area of personal interest. There are over 100 undergraduate courses and many HECS based postgraduate coursework programs to choose from within each of the University's Faculties and Institutes.
Eligible staff will be entitled to a HECS scholarship for study of up to 25% of a full-time University load per annum, throughout 2015. This may be made up of two 12.5% units or one 25% unit each year.
Which courses attract full HECS scholarships?
Eligible employees within the Tasmanian Education sector and TAFE Queensland undertaking the Bachelor of Education (Applied Learning), the Bachelor of Adult and Applied Learning or the Bachelor of Education (Professional Honours), have access to a full HECS scholarship (maximum 100% load) for 2015. Full course details are available on Course and Unit Handbook and can be accessed through the links below.
- Bachelor of Education (Applied Learning)
- Bachelor of Education (Professional Honours)
- Bachelor of Adult and Applied Learning
From 2014 the following courses are being offered as full fee paying and are not eligible for a full HECS scholarship. Please see your offer letter for details on your course.
- Graduate Certificate of Education
- Master of Education
- Master of Education with Honours
- Graduate Certificate in University Learning and Teaching
- Graduate Certificate in Geographical Education
- Graduate Certificate in Science Education
How do I enrol?
There are a number of steps to take in order to get started on your study and HECS scholarship at the University of Tasmania:
- Decide which course you are interested in - if you are unsure, contact the Uni Info Centre on 1300 363 864 or Course.Info@utas.edu.au for information and course advice.
- Submit your application online
- Once you have received your offer of a place, follow the instructions provided to accept the offer and arrange to attend a Ready for Uni workshop. Here you will receive necessary information and have the opportunity to complete your enrolment for the units you will be studying.
- When completing your enrolment in your eStudent you must also complete the HECS scholarship application (accessed via the 'Finance & Scholarships' option listed on the top menu). You will be required to enter your name, email address and phone number, as well as your employer name and your staff ID number (to ensure eligibility, the university will verify your name and staff ID with your employer).
The scholarship deduction will appear on the fees invoice available on the eStudent.
Also, staff who have been away from study for a number of years should plan to attend 'UniStart' an introduction to study at the University of Tasmania. This four-day course takes place just prior to the start of each semester, and is also available online.
Need more information?
Please contact the Uni Info Centre on 1300 363 864 to discuss your options or to make an appointment with a Student Adviser. Alternatively, email Course.Info@utas.edu.au