All higher degree by research supervisors must be appointed by the Dean of Graduate Research following recommendation from a Head of School. Proposed appointments are assessed with applications for candidature and for changes to supervision teams.
In accordance with Rule 4, Rules of Graduate Research, clause 20, each supervisor must:
- be an academic staff member or appointed under the Voluntary Positions Policy with a minimum 12 month appointment (see the Voluntary Positions Procedures for making the appointments);
- have a higher degree by research, or equivalent, at least at the level at which they wish to supervise;
- participate in at least one professional development activity per year; and
- have a workload and terms of employment that allow them to supervise the proposed candidate/s.
Supervisors must be aware of the following key documents:
- The Australian Code for the Responsible Conduct of Research
- UTAS’ Minimum Infrastructure Standard for HDR Candidates
- Rule 4 and the Procedures of Graduate Research
More information can be found in the Graduate Research Supervision brochure.