Responsible faculty or institute:
Arts (principal) Campus(es) Offered:
Course Duration: Minimum
1 yrs, Maximum
Course Contact (faculty or school):
From Semester 2 2013, this course is offered on a full fee paying basis to eligible domestic students. Fees are established per unit and can be found in the unit descriptions within the course schedule. Click on 'View fees for this unit' and select 'Tuition fee (domestic) Post 2008' as the fee type. International students please refer to International Services at www.utas.edu.au/international
The Graduate Certificate in Music is offered by the Conservatorium of Music at Hobart. It can be completed in a minimum of one semester full-time or a maximum of one year part-time.
Admission & Prerequisites
Students with an undergraduate music degree or equivalent accepted by the university will be accepted for university entrance into the program. Candidates who have been admitted to the university must also pass appropriate entrance examinations, auditions and interviews as deemed necessary by the Conservatorium.
The GradCertMus aims to provide a quality tertiary qualification at the postgraduate level in a professional coursework program. The program aims to provide students with high-level skills as performers or composers; and a comprehensive understanding of a wide range of repertoire and concepts
It is intended that graduates of this course majoring in the pedagogy stream will bring to their work a thorough knowledge of the repertoire for the instrument/s they will teach at the pre-tertiary level, the ability to make informed decisions about appropriate developmental sequences of learning and a detailed understanding of the technical and manipulative requirements of the instrument. Students will be required to think professionally about their work and to plan for their own continuing development.
Articulation to/from Course
The GradCertMus is part of an articulated sequence of postgraduate programs in Music, including a Graduate Diploma and a Masters. Students who enrol in the Graduate Certificate and complete a core 25% unit plus 25% electives (a total of 50%) may then elect to complete an additional 50% of coursework units (including a second 25% required unit and the Music Research Methodology unit) and achieve a Graduate Diploma of Music. Students who take the additional coursework units plus the 50% Major Research Project unit are eligible to graduate with a Master of Music Studies degree.
Students entering the program who have an Honours degree in the appropriate discipline from the University of Tasmania will be credited with the Music Research Methodology unit and one elective unit. Students with other postgraduate awards may apply for credit.