Dr Murray Adams
Senior Lecturer in Haematology; Course Coordinator: Bachelor of Biomedical Science
BSc (Hons), PhD, MAIMS, FFSc(RCPA)
|Contact Campus||Newnham Campus|
|Building||Building C (School of Health Sciences)|
|Telephone||+61 3 6324 5483|
|Fax||+61 3 6324 3995|
Murray is responsible for teaching haematology in the School of Health Sciences, and is the unit coordinator for Haematology 1 (CXA231), Haematology 2 (CXA332) and Transfusion Science (CXA333). He also contributes to teaching in Introduction to Medical Laboratory Sciences (CXA101) and Medical Laboratory Practice (CXA401). He has experience in teaching both under- and post-graduate haematology to students studying Medical Science, as well as under- and post-graduate medicine, and multi-disciplinary units in Medical Laboratory Science.
Murray's broad research interests are in haemostasis with a particular focus on investigating mechanisms of blood coagulation and platelet aggregation that lead to thrombosis (blood clots). He is currently investigating abnormalities of haemostasis in systemic lupus erythematosus (and other chronic diseases), and the contribution of antiphospholipid antibodies to the development of thrombosis. He collaborates with research groups in Tasmania and throughout Australia and has supervised numerous research students at PhD, MSc and Honours levels.
- Adams MJ, Ahuja KDK and Geraghty DP. Effect of Capsaicin and Dihydrocapsaicin on in vitro Blood Coagulation and Platelet Aggregation. Thrombosis Research. 124, 721-723. 2009.
- Adams MJ, Palatinus AA, Harvey AM, and Khalafallah AA. Impaired control of the tissue factor pathway of blood coagulation in systemic lupus erythematosus. Lupus. 20, 1476 – 1485, 2011.
- Palatinus AA, Ahuja KDK, and Adams MJ. Effect of APL on in vitro platelet aggregation. Clinical and Applied Thrombosis and Hemostasis. 18, 60 – 66, 2012.
- Adams MJ. Tissue factor pathway inhibitor: New insights into an old inhibitor. Seminars in Thrombosis and Hemostasis. 38, 129 – 134, 2012.
- Ahuja KDK, Thomas G, Adams MJ, and Ball MJ. Postprandial platelet aggregation: effects of different meals and glycemic index. European Journal of Clinical Nutrition. 66, 722 – 726, 2012.
- Betts NA, Ahuja KDK, Adams MJ. Human and rabbit anti-β2GP1 antibodies have variable effects on platelet aggregation. Pathology. 45, 155 – 161. 2013.
- Dhillon PK, Adams MJ. Thrombosis in SLE: The Role of Impaired Fibrinolysis. Seminars in Thrombosis and Hemostasis. 39, 434-440. 2013.
Murray completed a BSc with First Class Honours in Medical Science and a PhD from Curtin University in Western Australia.
Murray is currently Senior Lecturer in Haematology, Course Coordinator of the Bachelor of Biomedical Science and a Graduate Research Coordinator for Human Life Science students in the School of Health Sciences. He is an APACE registered member and former Chair of the Tasmanian Branch of the Australian Institute of Medical Scientists (AIMS), a Fellow of the Faculty of Science (RCPA) and a member of the Australasian Society of Thrombosis and Haemostasis (ASTH) and International Society on Thrombosis and Hemostasis (ISTH). Murray is an Associate Editor of the journal Seminars in Thrombosis and Hemostasis.