Ms Carey Mather
RN BSc PGrad Dip (Hlth Prm) GCert ULT GCert (Creative Media Tech) MPH
|Contact Campus||Newnham Campus|
|Telephone||+61 3 6324 3149|
|Fax||+61 3 6324 3952|
- Fei J, Mather C, Elmer S, Allan C, Chin C, and Chandler L. (2013) The Use of Echo360 generated materials and its impact on class attendance. 30th Australasian Society for Computers in Learning in Tertiary Education (ascilite) conference proceedings, 1-4 December, Sydney, Australia, (accepted for publication October 2013).
- Mather, C., Marlow, A. and Cummings, E. (2013). Web 2.0 strategies to enhance support of clinical supervisors of undergraduate nursing students: An Australian experience. EDULEARN13 (5th International Conference on Education and New Learning Technologies) conference, 1-3 July, Barcelona, Spain, pp. 3520-3527, ISSN 2340-1117.
- Mather, C., Marlow, A. and Cummings, E. (2013). Digital communication to support clinical supervision: Considering the human factors in Studies in Health Technology and Informatics, Volume 194: Context Sensitive Health Informatics: Human and Sociotechnical Approaches, IOS Press, pp. 160-165. DIO 10.3233/978-1-61499-293-6-160.
- Mather, CA. (2012). Case Study: An interdisciplinary evaluation of an e-portfolio: WIL at the University of Tasmania in , Simmons C, Williams A, Sher W, Levett-Jones T (ed), Workready: E-Portfolios to Support Professional Placements in Nursing and Construction Management Degrees in Australia, Print National NSW, Australia, pp. 81-96. ISBN 978-0-9805545-5-7
- Mather, C (2012). An Interdisciplinary evaluation of an e-portfolio: WIL at the University of Tasmania. In Williams, A. Simmons, C. Levett-Jones, T, Sher, W and Bowen, L. Facilitating work integrated learning (WIL) through skills-enabled e-portfolios in construction and nursing Final Report. Australian Government Office for Teaching and Learning, Canberra. PDF ISBN 978 1 921916 88 5, Print ISBN 978 1 921916 87 8.
- Mather C and Marlow A (2012). Audio teleconferencing: Creative use of a forgotten innovation. Contemporary Nurse. 41(2) pp 177-183
- Mather, C (2012). E-portfolios: Embedding an e-portfolio into a work integrated learning environment: Evaluation of an undergraduate nursing student experience. EDULEARN12, International Conference on Education and New Learning Technologies, conference proceedings CD. Abstract ISBN, 978-84-695-3176-1, Proceedings ISBN 978-84-695-3491-5.
- Mather, C (2012). Isn't it time for a tweet? Connections 15 (2), pp 20-21
- Mather, C. and Marlow A. 2011. Embedding an e-portfolio into a work integrated learning environment: The School of Nursing and Midwifery experience. Teaching Matters 2011 "Sharing Matters" conference proceedings, 37
- Mather, C. (2011). E-portfolios: Lessons from an interdisciplinary collaboration. The School of Nursing and Midwifery experience. EDULEARN11, International Conference on Education and New Learning Technologies, conference proceedings CD. Abstract ISBN, 978-84-615-0442-8, Proceedings ISBN 978-84-615-0441-1
- Mather, C. (2011). Lessons from an e-portfolio experience in Health Science: The School of Nursing and Midwifery perspective. Australian Society for Microbiology Annual Scientific Meeting 2011: Microbiology on the edge, conference proceedings, 93
- Mather, CA and Radford, JC and Westbury, JL* and Fabian, DG, 2010. 'Developing a community of practice: The Health Science ePortfolio experience', Teaching Matters 2010 Cultures of Learning Conference Proceedings, 24th and 25th November, Launceston, 29
- Mather, C. (2010). Human Interface Technology: Enhancing tertiary nursing education to ensure workplace readiness. International Technology, Education and Development conference 2010, conference proceedings CD. Abstract ISBN: 978-84-613-5536-5, Proceedings ISBN: 978-84-613-5538-9
- Robinson, A and Venter, L and Andrews-Hall, S and Cubit, K and Menzies, B and Jongeling, L and Fassett, MJ and Mather, CA, (2005). Building Connections in Aged Care - Final Report, Department of Health and Ageing
- Robinson, A and Cubit, K and Venter, LM and Fassett, MJ and Mather, CA and Andrews-Hall, S, (2004). Building Connections in Aged Care. Developing Support Structures for Student Nurses on Placement in Residential Care: Stage 2 Report: SNM Aged Care Report No. 3, Commonwealth Department of Health and Ageing, 3
- Cubit, K and Robinson, A and Mather, CA and Venter, LM, (2004). 'What do nursing students do in residential aged care?', Australasian Journal on Ageing, 23 (Supplement ) pp. A5. ISSN 1440-6381
- Mather, CA and Lower, T, (2001). 'Preferred methods to reduce farm related injury', Occupational Health and Safety, Journal Of, 17 (3) pp. 301-307. ISSN 0815-6409
- Mather, CA and Lower, T, (2001). 'Farm Injury in Tasmania', Australian Journal of Rural Health, 9 (5) pp. 209-215. ISSN 1038-5282
- Stacey, MC and Mata, SD and Tregove, NJ and Mather, CA, (2000). 'Randomised double-blind placebo controlled trial of topical autogous platelt lysate in venous ulcer healing', European journal of vascular and endovascular surgery, 20 (3) pp. 296-301. ISSN 1078-5884
- Mather, CA, (1999). 'The nature and scope of injury in rural farming communities' MPH dissertation
- Mather, CA, (1997). 'Immunising Adults – An Effective Rural GP Opportunistic Health Promotion Strategy', 4th National Conference Proceedings, 2000, Canberra, pp. 351-356. (1997)
- Kamien, M and Ward, A and Mansfield, F and Fatovich, B and Mather, CA and Anstey, K, (1995). 'Type 2 diabetes. Patient practices, and satisfaction with GP care', Australian Family Physician, 24 (6) pp. 1043-9. ISSN 0300-8495
- Kamien, M and Ward, A and Mansfield, F and Mather, CA and Fatovich, B and Anstey, K, (1994). 'Management of Type 2 Diabetes in Western Australian Metropolitan General Practice ', Diabetes Research and Clinical Practice, 26 (3) pp. 197-208. ISSN 0168-8227
Carey has worked in the health sector for 27 years in various capacities and settings including the acute, palliative, health promotion and community environments. Since 2001, she has periodically been employed by the University of Tasmania as a clinical teacher, tutor and lecturer. Carey currently works full time within Nursing & Midwifery as a lecturer. Her interests include primary health care, evaluation and learning and teaching in the clinical environment. During 2010, as part of her role as the Teaching Fellow, Emerging Technologies she investigated innovative technologies including e-portfolios to facilitate the learning and teaching of undergraduate students. Recently she has been involved with facilitating high quality work integrated learning experiences for students.
Grants and Awards
- Career Development Scholarship. UTAS, 2013.
- Teaching Development Grant (Category B Institutional significance grants) 2013: Investigating the transformative role of Echo360 on learning and teaching.
- Teaching Development Grant (Grass Roots Communities of Practice category) 2011: Evaluation of the implementation of a social software (Twitter) model to enhance the development of a community of practice for clinically based registered nurses (clinical facilitators) who facilitate nursing students. A pilot study to support peer learning.
- Mather, CA and Chinthammit, W, 'Augmented Reality & Human Manikins. A Healthcare Training Innovation', UniQuest Trailblazer 2010 Winners, UTAS, Hobart (2010).
- Intra-faculty Teaching Development Grant 2009: the interdisciplinary evaluation of the integration of an e-portfolio (PebblePad) as a learning and teaching (L&T) tool during professional experience placement (PEP).
- Faculty Commendation for excellence in teaching from the Supportive Care in Hospital and Community Settings Faculty Grant, 2004.
- Professional experience placement portfolio related projects.
- Emerging technologies in Nursing.
Past Projects have included:
- Creative media technology use in nursing simulation environments.
- Learning and teaching within curricula.
- Rural and remote health promotion - Injury control, Immunisation.
- Diabetes type 2.
- Wound healing.