Skip to content

Accidents or injuries

Work Health and Safety

There is work health and safety information, including incident, accident and injury procedures and student insurance information available at UTAS Work Health and Safety Student Information.

Accidents or injuries on PEP

  • Health care agencies have obligations to students under the Work Health and Safety Act 2012. Students on PEP should act in accordance with the individual agency's workplace policy and procedure in the event of an accident or injury occurring.
    • Students who experience an injury where treatment and/or blood tests are required from a medical practitioner, such as a needle-stick injury, must ensure that costs are met via payment by Medicare Card. Workers Compensation does not apply to students undertaking PEP.
  • In the event that a student experiences accident or injury while on PEP the student must follow the incident/injury reporting procedures within the particular workplace and ensure the incident/injury has been reported as soon as practicable to the Placement Coordinator and Unit Coordinator. The student must also complete a University of Tasmania Online Incident Notification. When accessing for the first time, you will need to login on the University ‘Sign In’ page, which will come up first. If you have any questions, please email

Personal Accident Insurance

  • The University of Tasmania's insurance program provides cover for students whilst undertaking unpaid Work Integrated Learning placements (PEP) approved by the University.

    Note: Workers Compensation does not apply to students undertaking PEP.
  • The Insurance program includes coverage of non-Medicare expenses, but does not cover any out-of-pocket costs from the Medicare refund/gap payment.

Claims Process

  • The Tasmanian University Union (TUU) manage the claim process for the student personal accident insurance policy and the state-wide contact person is the TUU Northern Services Manager, who can be contacted on (03) 6324 3777.