Non University member accounts (NUMA's)
Access to University accounts is generally via either Student Administration or Human Resources. For other non-standard users NUMA accounts may be applicable, they are for a range of specific purposes, for example contractors requiring some access for a period to maintain vendor software, a non-individual contract with UTAS, visiting status for a short period of time, or a collaborative arrangement with a UTAS entity for an external individual that requires electronic access to participate in that collaboration. If you have people who need accounts on a longer-term basis and they have a direct relationship with the university then please talk to your HR representative: www.human-resources.utas.edu.au/contact-hr
N.B. Anyone being paid directly by the University will have their account generation triggered by HR. IT accounts are generated automatically after HR enter the persons details, IT account details can then be obtained from the ITS service desk by contacting +61 3 6226 1818.
- Direct UTAS <-> individual relationship - Human Resources
In the event of a direct relationship between an individual and UTAS, Human Resources will manage the allocation and approval of an identity through the Human Resources Management System
- Indirect UTAS <-> individual relationship - ITS non-member account
In the event of an indirect relationship, the account will be managed by the responsible organisational unit within UTAS, through mechanisms provided by ITS.
A direct relationship is between UTAS and an individual, an indirect relationship will result through participation in a non-individual contract with UTAS, visiting status for a short period of time, or a collaborative arrangement with a UTAS entity for an external individual that requires electronic access to participate in that collaboration.
Practical examples of types of University associates and their direct/indirect relationships with the corresponding department responsible can be found at the bottom of this page.
Should account provisioning by HR be applicable please email Human.Resources@utas.edu.au or phone +61 3 6226 2704
What Systems can a non-member account holder not access?
NUMA account holders (as they are by definition non-members) cannot access some UTAS Systems and therefore these accounts will be inappropriate if access to these systems is essential.
A non-definitive list of inaccessible systems:
- Some Software site licences
Extending or renewing an existing NUMA account or re-activating an old NUMA account
For extensions, renewals of existing or expired NUMA accounts we require either an email OR a portal ticket (a 'Request or Enquiry' to IT Services via: utas.edu.au/selfservice)from the Head of School, or equivalent, of the UTAS department sponsoring the member/s to the ITS Service Desk (email@example.com) advising of the period of time (Max. 12 months) the extension is required and the current contact details of the NUMA holder.
N.B. the NUMA account must have:
- expired less than 18 months ago; and
- have the same sponsoring department
Sponsoring Departments Responsibilities
- Authorisation for access: Authorisation can only be provided by a Senior Officer of the University eg. UTAS Senior managers (or their deputies), Heads of Schools, Business Managers of large Schools
- De-provision of access: Where people with existing NUMA accounts no longer require this access prior to the accounts expiry we require an email from the Head of School, or equivalent, of the UTAS department sponsoring the member/s to the ITS Service Desk (firstname.lastname@example.org) advising of the date from which the account should be de-activated.
- Extensions of access: Sponsoring departments are responsible for managing account extensions or advising ITS of an account that is no longer required, the service desk strongly recommends that departments regularly review their existing NUMA's and also make note of account expiry dates and, prior to this date, review the requirement for the account and request an extension where appropriate.
N.B. the account will expire with no notification to the department or the NUMA holder
- Risk management: all issues associated with misuse of the access provided, e.g. copyright infringements/inappropriate use of services.
The underlying university policy, ICT Access Control Policy (ICTP 4.1) is available here: