The Records Management Unit (RMU) is located within Information Technology Services (ITS). The RMU is responsible for the application of sound records management practices across the University, including implementation of the Records Management Policy (PDF) and Records Management Guidelines (PDF).
All staff of the University have recordkeeping responsibilities and the Records Management Unit endeavours to support and assist staff in understanding and meeting their obligations and ensure that records and information are identified and managed appropriately.
Our mission is to:
- provide University of Tasmania staff with the tools and knowledge to manage their corporate information (in both electronic and paper format) in a more consistent manner;
- provide efficient and consistent processes to assist in the retrieval of information relating to a subject or event regardless of where in the University it was created;
- comply with all administrative, legal, fiscal and archival requirements.
We strive to achieve this by providing policies, procedures and guidelines to staff on how to manage, access and dispose of records, with the main objectives being to:
- improve availability and accessibility of information campus wide;
- continue to meet accountability standards by addressing all administrative, legal and archival requirements with respect to University records;
- render maximum service to the users of the Records Management Unit.
The RMU provides a direct service to those business units that utilise HP Records Manager (HPRM), the University's Electronic Document & Records Management System (EDRMS). The RMU also provides advice on recordkeeping requirements to all business units of the University.
Services we provide include:
- Records description and management
- Quality assurance
- Security & access
- Records management training
- Advice on recordkeeping systems design
- Advice on the storage and disposal of inactive records
- Transfer of records to the Tasmanian Archive & Heritage Office (TAHO)
- Management of the Electronic Document & Records Management System (HPRM)