The Records Management Unit is running a round of free workshops in November for staff members interested in learning more about how to manage and dispose of their records appropriately.
Are you confused about your recordkeeping responsibilities? Not sure which documents you need to keep and which you can get rid of? Want to know how long you need to keep records? Can't figure out what to do with all those old boxes of records? Then come along to one of the Records Management Unit's recordkeeping workshops: they are open to all staff members and free of charge.
Recordkeeping at the University
Sandy Bay: 9:30 am to 12:00 pm, Tuesday the 17th of November. Room 322, Social Sciences building.
Newnham: 9:30 am to 12:00 pm, Wednesday the 18th of November. Room 124, Building A.
This workshop covers the fundamentals of recordkeeping at the University of Tasmania, providing staff with an understanding of basic recordkeeping practices and their responsibilities as employees of the University. It includes practical demonstrations and hands-on instruction in how to appraise and dispose of records, and provides an opportunity for staff to raise any questions or recordkeeping issues they have been experiencing and work through them with a records management professional. As all staff are responsible for the records they create or receive in the course of their work, this workshop would be useful for all employees, but it is especially applicable to administrative staff who are tasked with the responsibility of managing and disposing of their business area's records.
This 2.5 hour workshop covers:
- What are records and why do we need to keep them?
- Your responsibilities under the Archives Act.
- When do you need to create a record?
- Which records do you need to keep?
- How long do we need to keep records?
- Where should we store records?
- What do we need in a recordkeeping system?
- How can we protect and preserve records from damage or tampering?
- How can we organise and track records to make them easy to find and retrieve?
- How to appraise the value of records using disposal schedules.
- How to dispose of records using a Register of Records Destroyed.
If you are interested in signing up for a workshop, please register via the online registration form. While we do accept registrations up until the preceding Thursday, please try to register at least two weeks ahead of time, as workshops may be cancelled if minimum numbers have not been reached by this point. If you would like more information or have any questions about the workshops, please visit our workshops page or contact our Training and Disposal Officer on 6226 1894.