Before you start
Please view the information booklet (PDF 108KB) for more information. This will provide you with a guide on how to answer the selection criteria and general information about the application process.
Up to 3 referees are enough for an application. Please ensure your referees are aware of your job application and are happy to be your referee. Be sure they can be readily contacted by the Selection Panel if required, by supplying their current contact details.
The job advertisement contains useful information about the position. If you wish to speak to someone further about the job opportunity, you will find contact details in the body of the advertisement.
The Vacancy Document itself is in PDF format. Adobe Reader can be downloaded from the Adobe website.
Creating the application
The example application (PDF 110KB) will assist you with filling out the application form.
- Within the Vacancy table on the UTAS Jobs page, click on the Position Title for the job you are interested in. A job advertisement will display so you can gather details regarding the position such as duties and salary. Visa requirements will be stated at the bottom of the advertisement if applicable to the position.
- Click on the Position Description link located underneath the advertisement to open and download the document. This contains more detailed information about the position and a list of the selection criteria which must be answered in your application.
- Once you click on the Apply Now button you will need to fill out the online form and attach your application all in the one session. It is recommended that you complete your documentation offline and revisit the job web page once you are ready to submit.
- When you are ready to complete your application, click on the Apply Now button which is located underneath the Position Description link.
- Fill out your personal details and contact details for up to 3 referees. Mandatory fields have an asterisk (*) next to them.
- Browse to and attach your job application making sure to include a cover letter, resume/curriculum vitae and selection criteria responses. If applicable, also attach a copy of your current visa (if required in the advertisement). It is preferred that you attach your documents as PDF files.
- If you don't attach all 5 documents you will get a popup advising you that you can still attach more documents. This is only an information screen, so as long as you are satisfied that you have attached what is necessary, you can click ok to continue your submission.
However, you must make sure you have attached at least one document which covers all the position requirements in order to be considered for the position. Take care to check you do not get the following message that says you have selected 0 documents. In this case choose the Cancel option and attach your document(s) before submitting.
- At the bottom of the form is a Declaration field which must be read and ticked otherwise your application will not submit. An error message will display at the top of the form if you do not click the declaration.
- Finally, click on the Submit button.
- Errors, such as a required field that has not been filled out, will be displayed in red or in a popup window. You may find that the documents have been cleared from the attachment fields so reattach them if necessary, correct any errors and then click on the Submit button again.
- The submission process can take 30 seconds or more so please be patient and do not click the Submit button more than once. The screen will automatically take you to the top of the page where a Success message will be displayed.
- All applications should be submitted online but if you are unable to do so you may email your application to email@example.com with an explanation.
A resume, cover letter and response to the selection criteria must all be attached to your job application, either as a single document or separate documents. Failure to do so will make your application invalid.
If you have a technical problem when submitting your application and you don’t believe the documents attached correctly, please contact Staff.Recruit@utas.edu.au, and inform the contact person/s in the job advertisement as soon as possible. This action is necessary to prevent your application from being automatically dismissed.
Please submit your documents preferably in PDF format (.pdf). JPEG format (.jpg, .jpeg) is acceptable for copies of your visa. Files should be no more than 2MB in size each.
Please note that this system is very particular with filenames. Filenames should not include special characters such as ', ; & . apostrophes, commas, ampersand, full stops etc. Even though you may be able to save a document with special characters you could still have trouble attaching them to the application.
File names should be limited to about 50 characters and include your name, vacancy reference number and type of document.
JoeBloggs VISA 82.jpg
After submitting the application
When you successfully submit your application, a "Success! Row inserted" message should be displayed at the top of the page. This means the application has successfully saved into our recruitment database. You will also receive a confirmation email, which will be sent to the email address specified in your application.
An email will be sent when an application is first submitted. Shortlisted applicants will be either contacted by phone or email. For this reason please make sure to include a valid email address, so that system notifications can be sent to you.
Once your application has been submitted you will be unable to access it online.
For specific errors or omissions from your application please send an enquiry to Staff.Recruit@utas.edu.au
In the first instance, contact the person who is listed on the job application and explain the situation.
All applications should be submitted online but we understand there can be the circumstances that prevent this from happening. In this case, job applications can be emailed to Staff.Recruit@utas.edu.au with an appropriate explanation.
If you are a UTAS employee then you should use Web Kiosk for lodging your job application. The benefit of this is the form will pre-populate with most of your details saving you a lot of time in filling it out. You can access a list of vacancies within Web Kiosk by using the Current Vacancies button on the top toolbar.