Congratulations and welcome to the University of Tasmania community
This is an exciting time to be joining the University of Tasmania, as we pursue an ambitious agenda to raise educational attainment and to direct our activities for the future prosperity of this State. We are inspired by our unique island setting and motivated by the social, economic and environment challenges it presents. This underpins our teaching, learning and research agendas, which are international in both scope and reputation.
I encourage you to familiarise yourself with our strategic plan, Open to Talent, which articulates our vision for the University over the next decade. I hope the information contained in this document helps you to understand how you can contribute to creating this shared future.
For those who are new to Tasmania, we welcome you warmly. You will come to see that as the only university on the island, we have a crucial role within the community: the key provider of tertiary education; the training ground for the professions and the most important provider of research and innovation.
The University is also one of the largest businesses and employers in the State. We strive to cultivate an environment in which you are nurtured professionally, working with colleagues to build a future you can be both proud of and part of.
Professor Peter Rathjen
We aim to make your transition to your new workplace both easy and effective by using 3 elements in our induction process, which include:
- Our Centralised Induction Seminars; seminars are held twice yearly and provide participants with an understanding of the University's key priorities and structure. Service Area Experts are also on hand to answer questions in an expo type environment. Seminars are coordinated by Human Resources and all new staff will be invited to attend.
- Completing a range of compulsory and recommended online and in-person courses and completing the University of Tasmania’s Induction Checklist (Word 402KB)
- Familiarising yourself with our Welcome to the University of Tasmania Website and using our Resources to get you started at the University Tasmania webpage.
Compulsory Online Training Courses:
- University of Tasmania Local Area Induction checklist (Word 87KB)
- Inclusion Equity and Diversity, Equal Opportunity Online
- Graduate Certificate in University Learning & Teaching (A probationary requirement for most new academic staff)
- Research Integrity at the University of Tasmania, available through the Office of Research Services
Recommended Online and In-Person Courses: