Dr Peter Lawrence
Senior Lecturer - (LLB, BA (Hons) UNSW, LLM (LSE London), PhD (Tilburg)
|Contact Campus||Sandy Bay Campus|
|Building||Faculty of Law Building|
|Telephone||+61 3 6226 2747|
|Fax||+61 3 6226 7623|
For full list of publications,see: Web Access Research Portal (WARP) (click 'All Research Outputs' tab).
Some selected recent publications
- Future Generations, Climate Change and International Law, P Lawrence 2014 (Edward Elgar Press) (click on 'download PDF' for summary of the argument).
- Justice for Future Generations: Environment Discourses, International Law and Climate Change in: B Jessup and K Rubenstein (eds.) Environmental Discourses in Public and International Law P Lawrence 2012 (Cambridge University Press).
- Australian Climate Policy and the Asia Pacific Pathway on Clean Development and Climate (APP) From Howard to Rudd: Continuity or Change? P Lawrence 2009 International Environmental Agreements: Politics Law and Economics Vol 9, no 3/August 2009 281-299.
- APEC Promises a Roar and Delivers a Whimper P Lawrence 2008 Asia Pacific Journal of Environmental Law 11 APJL no 1 & 2 29-49.
- The Asia Pacific Partnership on Clean Development and Climate (AP6): a distraction to the Kyoto process or a viable alternative? P. Lawrence 2007 Asia Pacific Journal of Environmental Law 10 APJEL no 4 183-209.
- Regional Strategies for the Implementation of Environmental Conventions: Lessons from the South Pacific? P. Lawrence 1994 Australian Yearbook of International Law 203-229.
- International Legal Regulation for Protection of the Ozone Layer: Some Problems of Implementation P. Lawrence 1990 Journal of Environmental Law Vol. 2 No. 1 17-52.
Some selected recent presentations
- 'Justice and choice of legal instrument under the Durban mandate: Ideal and not so ideal legal form' paper presented at Workshop 'Climate Justice and Non-ideal Theory', University of Oxford, Oxford Martin Programme on Human Rights for Future Generations, 14-15 January 2014,
- 'An atmospheric trust? International human rights law and the protection of the environment for future generations' paper presented at workshop 'Human Rights and Responsibilities regarding Future Generations' workshop organised by the Ethics institute Utrecht University, and European Science Foundation Research Networking Program 'Right to a Green Future' (ENRI-Future), held Soesterberg, The Netherlands 14-16 October 2013.
Dr Peter Lawrence's key area of research concerns the interface between ethics, justice, climate change and international law. Peter just published a book Justice for Future Generations, Climate Change and International Law (Edward Elgar Press, April 2014) (click on 'download PDF' for summary of the argument).
In October 2013 Peter successfully defended his Ph.D. at the University of Tilburg in the Netherlands. In 2013 he was awarded a career development scholarship from UTAS. Since mid-2004 he has been a Senior Lecturer at the University of Tasmania Law School. Previously Peter worked for the Australian Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade (1989-2004) which included leading a number of Australian delegations to negotiations on multilateral environment agreements while working as the First Secretary for the Australian Permanent Mission to the United Nations in Geneva (1996-1999). He is a previous member of the editorial team of the Encyclopaedia of Public International Law (R.Bernhardt [ed.]), undertaken while a research scholar at the Max Planck Institute for Comparative Public Law and International Law, Hiedleberg, Germany (1985 – 1987). During 2011 Peter was a visiting fellow at the Australian Centre for International Law and Public Law (ANU) and gave guest lectures at the University of Oxford Centre for Enterprise and the Environment as well as the Merton Centre for European and International Law at the Goethe University of Frankfurt, Germany. Peter is currently the Faculty Advisor of the University of Tasmania Law Review (UTLR).
Peter is a proud member of Hobart's leading vocal ensemble the Allegri Ensemble. See: allegriensemble.com for forthcoming concert details.