Over 10,000 requests are submitted via our Document Delivery service per year.
- Register to use Web form if you are a new client
Once your registration is processed you will be emailed within 1-2 working day your registration login details.
- You will need your Staff/Student "User ID" and your current Document Delivery Account "Password".
- For password queries or expired accounts, phone or email the Document Delivery Service.
- Your Document Delivery account will expire in line with your enrolment or employment contract. If you receive a expired account message please contact us and we will reactivate your account.
If the University Library does not have the items you need, eligible users can request them through the Document Delivery Service.
- University of Tasmania staff and PhD, Masters, Honours, Graduate Diploma and Graduate Certificate students have access to the Document Delivery Service
- Honorary Research Associates and visiting academics
- Clinical Academics for the Faculty of Health can use the Document Delivery Service for items required to support their teaching and research
- AMC final year research students
For further information contact the Document Delivery Service.
You can request loan items such as books, videos, CDs, music scores, videos, films and theses. Some of these categories may be difficult to obtain, but we will try to source them for you where possible.
You can request copies of journal articles, chapters and sections from books, conference papers and standards.
Items requested should only be related to the research and teaching functions at the University.
There is no charge for:
- Loan items up to $16.50
- Copies (for retention) up to $16.50
Standard requests costing over $16.50 will be reported back to the borrower for authorisation to proceed. On fulfilment of the request the extra charge will be passed on to the client for personal payment or, if approved, by periodic back-charging to the School.
RUSH requests will attract an extra charge, of which the Library will only pay the base charge, currently $16.50. The remaining cost will require payment by the client or the school. RUSH charges range between $33.00 - $45.40 approximately.
We can only proceed with RUSH Loan requests if they can be sourced from Australian or New Zealand library locations. Depending on availability, items must be despatched by the selected supplier within 24 hours of receiving the request. The item will arrive within 1 - 2 days from Australian locations, and from New Zealand these may take longer than 2 days.
RUSH Copy requests are usually filled within 1 day.
Please supply as much information as you can on the request form. The more information we have, the faster we can identify and retrieve your requested item.
First, check the Library's Catalogue to confirm we do not have the item you require.
If the item you require is a journal article, you should also check to see if the library has an electronic full text version available. The list of individual electronic journals available to Library users located on the eJournals page.
Indicate if your request is RUSH , by following the instructions on the request form. Please indicate who will pay the extra charge, i.e. 'Client to pay' or 'School to pay' on the request Special instructions field. Prepayment before supply is never required.
If requesting films or video recordings for class viewing, make sure you include a proposed screening date and submit your request well in advance of this date. Conditions may be attached to borrowing films and video recordings - no charge may be made for admission to screenings; films and videos may not be videotaped or otherwise copied; all films must be shown by a competent projectionist.
Collection and delivery
Delivered electronically to your Document Delivery account under "My Requests", or, occasionally as e-mail attachments. It is important to save your 'received' documents delivered to your Document Delivery Account within 30 days. Copyright law requires us to permanently remove documents from our server after a period of time.
Sometimes, a supplier will send a printed version of a requested document. You will receive a 'received' email alert ,if there is no pdf link on your request or attachment received by email, the document has been sent to your School/Department via the UTAS internal mail.
Loans are only held for collection at the library service point that you specified on registration as your 'pick up' location, and are not sent out in the internal mail. Loans for Flexible Library Service clients are posted to their designated address.
A supplying library may stipulate that a loan item be for use in the library only. In order to maintain good relations with the Australian interlending community, we must observe these restrictions.
Talk to Document Delivery staff if you need to make special arrangements for collection or delivery of documents.
How long does it take
Copies are usually filled within 2 - 5 working days.
Loans from Australian and New Zealand libraries are usually filled within 10 - 14 working days. Overseas loans take 14 + days depending on the supplier.
Return and renewal
Return your loan items to the most convenient library service point on or before the due date. We request where possible that loans are placed into the "Reserve Returns bookdrop".
Please do not return loan items via the University mail system or Australia Post, unless you are a registered Flexible Library Services client.
If you need to extend the loan period on an item, please place the renewal via your Document Delivery account under 'My Requests' before the item is due back. A maximum of 1 renewal applies. Extensions are at the discretion of the supplying library, and so are not automatically guaranteed.
Ask Library to Borrow
Theses belonging to another institution are rarely available for loan, we will try to source the theses for you where possible.
Ask Library to Purchase
A Purchase Suggestion Form is to be completed online, include additional information from the quote provided by Document Delivery staff. In most cases purchased thesis will be added to the Library collection.
You will need to discuss this option with your School Liaison Officer or authorised School representative as to whether the School will fund the purchase.
Purchase it Yourself
- Australian Theses: contact the Library of the institution at which the thesis was submitted. Purchase costs can be AUD$65.00 - $110.00
- United Kingdom Theses: via the British Library EThOs service. This service is open access and mostly free. For more information, or to access a title visit the EThOs site
- American Theses: via Dissertation Express (the link will open in a new window). The cost for 'PDF web download' is US $37.00, other formats are available via Dissertation Express. Please check currency convertor for Australian dollar price
- European Theses: via DART-Europe. DART-Europe partners help to provide researchers with a single European portal for discovery of electronic theses
The Library will lend items from its collections to other libraries under the terms of the Interlibrary Resource Sharing (ILRS) Code. Individuals should contact their local library and ask staff to place an Interlibrary loan request.
You may send us a request via Libraries Australia Document Delivery gateway (LADD), email, fax or mail.
Document Delivery contacts:
Postal Address: Document Delivery Service
University of Tasmania Library
Private bag 25
HOBART TAS 7001
ILL Tel: +61 3 6226 2230 (no phone requests)
ILL Fax: +61 3 6226 7890
Document store email address: email@example.com
ABN 30 764 374 782
- Items borrowed from the University of Tasmania Library collections are available for six (6) weeks with a possible extension of loans.
- Some collections are not available for loan.
University of Tasmania library charges libraries the standard ACLIS/ILRS code charge.
- Australian libraries may pay via LADD Payments Scheme, credit card (Mastercard or Visa), or cheque.
- Overseas libraries may pay with IFLA vouchers, cheque, or credit card (Mastercard or Visa).
All prices are quoted in Australian dollars. All prices include GST, where appropriate.
|Service Type||Australian Libraries||Overseas Libraries|
Rush: $45.40 (Courier / Express Post)
Core: $30.00 (Airmail)
Rush: $33.00 (email)
Core: $24.00 (email)
*pricing for already digitised thesis
|$22.00* - $110.00|
$20.00* - $100.00
Purchase form [PDF 491.4KB] if you are an individual or a library requesting on behalf of an individual.
Purchase form [PDF 564.9KB] if you are library requesting a copy to be included in your collection.