The Bahá'í Faith was brought to Tasmania in 1923 by Hyde Dunn who, with his wife Clara Dunn, visited again in 1924 and attracted a small group of adherents. The first was Gretta Lamprill who later took the Bahá'í Faith to Tahiti.
The first administrative body was established in Hobart in 1949. Early activities included public meetings, often addressed by overseas and interstate visitors, and later regular children's classes, interfaith services, peace seminars, devotional gatherings and a presence at the Salamanca market. By 2003 communities were established in nineteen localities throughout the state. State activities are co-ordinated by a Bahá'í Council of nine members, first elected in 2001. In 2004 the community was establishing a Bahá'í Centre in Hobart.
Further reading: G Hassall, The Bahá'í Faith in Tasmania 1923–1963, 1994, on website abs.bahai.org.au/hassall9.htm.