Birchalls Pty Ltd is the oldest bookshop in Tasmania. Samuel Tegg established a bookshop in Hobart Town in 1833, then opened his Brisbane Street outlet in Launceston in 1844. Blake, Huxtable and Duthie were the next owners. In 1863 the Hobart firm of J Walch and Sons bought Duthie out and opened a northern branch.
Andrew W Birchall (1831–93) was appointed manager and became a partner in 1867. The firm traded as Walch Bros and Birchall until he acquired the shop in 1893. As was customary in family businesses, he was succeeded by his son who registered Birchalls as a proprietary company in 1921. Stanley V Tilley (1898–1985) joined Birchalls in 1928. The Tilley family bought the business and property in 1969. SV Tilley passed on his knowledge of the trade to his descendants, who now run the 160-year-old store and other retail outlets throughout Tasmania.