Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints
Opening of the church at Glen Huon, 1927 (AOT,
The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, or 'Mormons', dates from 1854, when missionaries began to proselytise in Hobart. Congregations were established in Hobart in 1894 and in the Upper Huon in 1899, despite persecution. Chapels were built in North Hobart in 1924 and in Glen Huon in 1927. Many early converts emigrated to Utah.
Rapid growth of the church dates from 1950. Migration to the mainland continues to strengthen congregations in all states. In 2003, membership was about 4000, served by chapels in Moonah, Rosny, Launceston, Glen Huon, Deloraine, Devonport and Burnie. Emphasis is placed on proclaiming the gospel, perfecting the saints through priesthood quorums, Relief Society, Sunday school, Seminary and Institute programmes and on redeeming the dead through family research and vicarious temple ordinances.