Greek Orthodox Church
Building a church of their own was a major aim of the Hellenic Association of Tasmania (1953). After successful fundraising, the foundation stone of St George's Church of the Martyr in Hobart was laid on 25 March 1957, Greece's Independence Day, and the church was built on land donated by Gregory, Anthony and Basil Casimaty. Labouring and concreting was done by volunteers from the community. It was necessary to enlarge the church in 1982, by the addition of wings on either side.
The distinctive building with its hemispherical dome on an octagonal tower, with blue glass windows, is situated at Antill Street, South Hobart. In 1992 a Greek Orthodox Church, the Dormition of Our Lady, was built in South Launceston beside the Greek Orthodox Community Hall.