Colebrook in 1880 (AOT,
John and Louisa Hauke and family arrived from Germany as bounty immigrants in 1855. After working for a Mr Buch at Rosetta, they purchased a five-acre lot at Spring Hill Bottom, Jerusalem (Colebrook), where John died in 1858, leaving Louisa and her young family to work the land. Louisa purchased two more five-acre lots which necessitated a two-day return trip to Hobart, walking each way.
Louisa's daughter Wilhelmina married Franz Thors, a mariner, and made her home in Hobart. Her son William worked in mines in New Zealand, and two younger daughters, Laura and Caroline, married German brothers Chris and Philip Wagner. Laura and Chris moved to Derby to work in the mines, later purchasing land at Winnaleah which is still owned by their descendants. Caroline and Philip farmed at Woodsdale. The Hauke women raised 32 children, who, with their families, became much involved in the development of their areas, providing builders, miners, successful farmers, justices of the peace, councillors, teachers and post mistresses.
Further reading: A Ranson, Wagners, 130 years in Tasmania, Paper Beach, 1985.