In the early 1900s a member of the International Bible Students Association, as Jehovah's Witnesses were known, was distributing Bible study publications in Tasmania. Literature was left with the postmaster at Queenstown, Tom Anderson, and he and his wife became Witnesses. Around this time, E Brewster preached around the state. In about 1908 Bible students were active in the Westbury area, and spread to the north-east of Tasmania.
The Witnesses operated radio station 7UV in Ulverstone from 1934 to spread the Bible's message. In 1945 the Witnesses purchased their first Kingdom Hall (church) in Hobart. In 2003 there were 25 congregations statewide and over 1600 members regularly engaging in the public ministry. In 2003, 2880 persons observed the Memorial of Christ's Death with Jehovah's Witnesses in Tasmania.
Watchtower Bible and Tract Society