Lady Franklin Club
The Lady Franklin Club was established in 1957 in Launceston, to provide a meeting place for country women while their husbands were conducting business in 'town'. The first president was Mrs Margaret Wordsworth. In the days when women did not sit alone in public, it provided a comfortable and secure environment where they could enjoy each other's company, entertain friends and stay overnight. The club premises were located in a gracious Victorian building at 35 Brisbane Street, Launceston. Although founded for country women, at least half the membership was made up of women who lived in 'town'. Through the 1960s and 1970s it proved very popular, with almost 300 members from all over northern Tasmania. In 2002, with a decreasing membership and escalating costs, the Lady Franklin Club was absorbed into the Launceston Club.