In 1882 a meeting at the Launceston Mechanics' Institute decided 'to form a Club for the association of gentlemen resident in Tasmania, to be called The Launceston Club, consisting of 64 original members and such other members as may be here admitted'. The rules of the Tasmanian Club, Hobart, were adopted and suitably revised. Premises were sought immediately and by April a substantial property in Brisbane Street was purchased for £4000 from Peter Mills. Alterations including the erection of a billiard room were completed that year. The Club remained on the site for 43 years, until new premises, Nyllavert, were purchased from the estate of Dr Charles Parker in 1925. The Club still resides at this address.
Further reading: P Richards, Nyllavert, Launceston, 2003.