The Northern Club, modelled on the English gentlemen's club, was established in Launceston in 1894 with sixteen members, each subscribing two guineas. Membership increased to 150 within three years, necessitating a move to larger premises in Cameron Street. Members came from the professions, politics, industry, commerce and sport. The Club provided congenial surroundings in which to relax and meet business contacts, a range of leisure activities, reciprocal arrangements with other Tasmanian and Australian clubs, and inter-club competition with the older Launceston Club. Launceston's role as a commercial hub declined as business practices changed globally, affecting the Club's two forms of income. Subscriptions fell from a reduced membership base, and the breathalyser impacted on bar profits. The Northern Club closed in 1996, but a tavern operated under this name until 2004.
Further reading: R Ferrall, The story of the Northern Club, Launceston, 1994.