Florence and George Perrin
Florence (1884–1952) and George Edward (1881–1970) Perrin, enthusiastic bushwalkers, pioneer skiers, photographers, philanthropists, farmers, fund-raisers, war-workers. George was the son of draper Walter Perrin and Henrietta Wilson, 'Flossie' the daughter of the Rev W Dawson and Mary Ann Monds. They married in 1907 and lived in Launceston. Together they farmed a property at Low Head, and went on mining trips to Adamsfield and Gladstone, where George was associated with a tin mine.
Their first love was the bush: Florence was reputedly the first white woman to climb many peaks, and Perrins Bluff was named after them in 1916. Both were devoted to the interests of St Aidan's Anglican church, and were involved with many other philanthropic, intellectual, environmental and community groups. George was a member of commercial groups such as the Launceston Chamber of Commerce, and Florence held many executive positions including editor of Tasmanian country woman. She collected seaweeds, co-authored Seaweeds of South Australia, and lectured to the Royal Society on the topic.
Further reading: J Gill, Engraved in memory, Launceston, 1998; A Lucas & F Perrin, The seaweeds of South Australia, Adelaide, 1936–1947; V Veale, Women to remember, St Helens, 1981.